Doctor Who Target Novelisations

Just finished The Day of The Doctor and have read a few other of the Target Novels and thought that we needed a thread where we can discuss them.

4 Likes

The Day of the Doctor was a really good novel.

I liked the way it was written. It’s fun when the book breaks the fourth wall. I also liked that it explained a little more what the different doctors were doing on the day of the doctor.

What are your favorite target novels?

5 Likes

It is a really good novelisation, it takes a whole new approach to the story on TV.

I love how The Night of the Doctor is included in the narrative and it is pretty spectacular how the very last word in the book is a twist surprise.

4 Likes

I read it shortly after it was released so I can’t really remember all the tricks they did. I think I read it twice as well!!

I’ll have to read it again :laughing:

But first I really want to read The Giggle as I’ve heard great things about that.

3 Likes

Here’s the data on this year’s Target Novelizations: https://www.blogtorwho.com/doctor-who-target-books-for-the-new-season/

3 Likes

I have 6 target novelizations but I have only seen half of them which are new who so I can only judge those ones since I’ve actually know what scenes are new or what ones are in the actual episode. Right now it’s Zygon Invasion because it provides a great backstory to Bonnie which is interesting and heartbreaking. It manages to add more to the plot while not feeling too dull. I might be a bit biased since I love the Zygon 2 parter. Day of the Doctor is very close and I agree with what the original poster said about it.

6 Likes

I just got a bunch of old target novelizations recently, including a first edition Edge of Destruction, which is really cool. I just finished reading it today, and I thought it was really good, especially for an early novelization.

9 Likes

I read that a couple of weeks ago and I agree. It felt like it fits better as a book when there is so much of the story that happens inside their heads.

8 Likes

It was actually one of the later novelisations. The Target novelisations weren’t written in transmission order and Edge of Destruction was published in 1988 as #132 in the range.

Robinson does some superb stuff exploring the interior of the TARDIS - those giant engine rooms stick n the memory.

8 Likes

Oh, yea that makes more sense. But you’re right, I absolutely love when the Tardis interior is explored in media.

7 Likes

I recently got my hands on a near perfect condition ‘The Wheel in Space’ copy which I’m super pleased about even if it was rather expensive.

(For anyone not in the know ‘The Wheel in Space’ is considered a rarer novel due to a reported warehouse fire causing there to be only 23,000 copies)

10 Likes

My copy came via my friend who basically nicked it from another friend who didn’t know it’s worth!

8 Likes