Doctor Who Phrases

I’m sure I’m not the only person who does this, but there are certain words and phrases that I’ve picked up from DW that I say all the time in my day to day life, even with people that know nothing about the show. Some examples for me come from Gallifrey, I say “It’s fine, I’ll cope” a lot (from Unity), and I often mimic the way Romana says “obviously” in Annihilation.

There are many others that I can’t think of off the top of my head, but what are some of yours? What phrases have irreversibly wormed their way into your speech patterns?

6 Likes

I find myself saying “I love a (thing)” ala Matt Smith.

7 Likes

I say “Fantastic!” all the time. Same tone and intonation.

5 Likes

It’s not words, but Saxon in the sound of drums has changed my brain chemistry and now I do thumbs ups all the time.

8 Likes

Oh I haven’t been the same sense the drums, I don’t tap it out every day like I used to, but it stayed in my brain forever

9 Likes

97d0380f092c180beeb3c957e8e1ed33

7 Likes

5 Likes

Same here. Definitely became a tick for a while.

2 Likes

I often say “These shoes! They fit perfectly…” when I put my shoes on…

7 Likes

When I need to turn the electric screwdriver into the unscrew position, I like to say “reverse the polarity (of the neutron flow)”.

Another great one to try at home is if you have an electric toothbrush. When brushing your teeth, you can mouth words and the buzzing sounds a lot like the cybercontroller in Tomb, so I enjoy mouthing “You belong to us. You will be like us”.

Mind you, the toothpaste gets everywhere.

10 Likes

I’ve been using “Allons-y!” occasionally when going somewhere.

I’m also overusing “Well, that’s alright then!” ever since Neil Patrick Harris made it the greatest TV line of last year!

13 Likes

I’ve just said ‘predictable as ever, Doctor’ to my eldest when they chose the chocolate mousse rather than the apple and caramel mousse.

6 Likes

I say “Hiya!” quite a bit cause of Yaz and the tenth doctor “well…” I do quite a bit

4 Likes

I say “Hiya” quite a bit too, but that is because I’m from the same area that Yaz is from.

4 Likes

I quote Six so many times it’s not even funny haha, lines from Piscon Paradox, Twin Dilemma, One Doctor, other random audios. I mainly keep them within the confines of my mind, though.

When I was first getting into Six and his audios, I’d repeat my favorite lines endlessly out loud to myself though lol.

4 Likes

(Tiniest not-really-a-spoiler for Space Babies):

From now on if I ever find myself using the word “babies” in conversation I will correct myself and say “space babies”.

5 Likes

I got echolalia (repeating sounds/words and phrases compulsively) from Scherzo, which I suppose is in theme with that audio.

5 Likes