Dalek Empire

The Genocide Machine was the first instalment of a very loose (and quite spread out) sequence of four stories in the Monthly Range from Big Finish entitled ‘Dalek Empire’.

Then, of course, they went on to release the 4 season Dalek Empire series.

What are your thoughts?

Dalek Empire and Dalek Empire II in particular are very good - if very grim. I particularly remember enjoying some of the battle scenes (which is odd because often, on audio, they can be hard to follow and painful to listen to).

Dalek Empire III of course brought David Tennant into the series not long before he would go on to take over as the Doctor on TV.

Dalek Empire IV is more of a curio but features Maureen O’Brien and Noel Clarke (which is possibly why it doesn’t get talked about as much nowadays).

What are your thoughts on the pepperpot-led series? Is this what Terry Nation always envisioned he could do with the Daleks despite it never happening in his lifetime?

4 Likes

I think I have some of the Dalek Empire Series that I picked up in a sale. Haven’t listened to any them. And as for the four Main Range stories, I have yet to really see any major links between them that could be considered a series.

2 Likes

I listened to the first season a little while ago (should probably finish the rest sometime) and it’s definitely a solid story, but thinking back it all just kind of blends together in my head.

I remember there was lots of sadness, war things, lotsa talk about hope, and it was all very grand and definitely well written and acted but it has just become kind of a blur, which is too bad. Because i do think its good, but maybe not that memorable? But we’ll see how i think of it after finishing the entire thing.

6 Likes

I’ve listened to first season two days ago, and it was incredible. I think it’s a really serious plot, which captured my attention immediately. Especially the end of the season - I definitely will be listen to the 2 season in the next week :dalek: Kalendorf is my favorite character from all!

4 Likes

I’ve said in other threads here that I’ve listened to the first series and enjoyed it a lot. I was initially worried as the Daleks aren’t a favourite of mine, but they take a backseat role for the most part. The human story is what’s fascinating. Almost a classic tale of what people do in wartime to survive.

Now I just need to get back into the mind frame of listening to stuff. It’s been a few weeks and I’ve got so much to catch up on.

Also, this series has a minor callback to The Sirens of Time with the Knights of Velisha.

5 Likes