Cybermen Elimination / Favorite Story Game

Due to the discussions in the Oh My Giddy Aunt! The Second Doctor Bracket Tournament and the Elimination Game - What Missing / Incomplete Story Do You Want Completely Recovered? threads I’ve wanted to do a Cyberman story game. However, I’ve been conflicted on whether it should be a tournament bracket game or an elimination game. Today, while I was showering, it came to me: an elimination game where everyone gets a vote. Here’s how the game will work:

All 21 Cybermen stories I’ve included will be listed and everyone will vote for the story they want to be eliminated. Each vote will remain open for 2 days at which time the story with the most votes will be eliminated. The voting then starts over with the remaining 20 stories. This will continue until there are 3 stories left, at which time the final vote will be for the favorite Cyberman story.

So, without further ado here are the 22 stories:

  • The Tenth Planet
  • The Moonbase
  • The Tomb of the Cybermen
  • The Wheel in Space
  • The Invasion
  • Revenge of the Cybermen
  • Earthshock
  • The Five Doctors
  • Attack of the Cybermen
  • Silver Nemesis
  • Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel
  • Army of Ghosts / Doomsday
  • The Next Doctor
  • Closing Time
  • Nightmare in Silver
  • The Time of the Doctor
  • Dark Water / Death in Heaven
  • World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls
  • The Haunting of Villa Diodati
  • Ascension of the Cybermen / The Timeless Children
  • The Power of the Doctor
0 voters
5 Likes

I was never overly fond of Time of the Doctor, and like The Five Doctors and Power of the Doctor, it’s barely a Cyberman story.

4 Likes

I did vote for the one I like least, but that’s true should probably eliminate the noncyberman Cyberman stories first

Edit voting time of the Doctor[1] as apart from handles and a quick scene or two of wooden Cybermen being defeated is not really a Cyberman story
.. but my original vote was for nightmare in silver


  1. even though I like that story ↩︎

5 Likes

I’d watch The Time of the Doctor anytime over The Wheel in Space. That’s what matters to me, so I voted for Wheel.

5 Likes

Wheel is probably the weakest of the bunch for me too, although I don’t think it’s terrible, just rather boring and unoriginal. I almost voted for Ascension of the Cybermen/The Timeless Children as a reflex, but to be fair to it I think it does the Cybermen pretty well.

5 Likes

Hmm. Interesting game. Because I’ve voted for what I perceive to be the weakest – or my least favourite. So far, nobody else has joined me but, as I type, there is currently a tie of 2 with the most votes. So then I start thinking surely it’s better if I just hone in on those 2, and work tactically?

Also, I’m gunna be interested to see how this plays out because if Story 1 and Story 2 get the most votes in Round 1, surely in Round 2 that second-most-voted-story should, in theory, get the most votes? And so the trend should continue.[1]


  1. And, of course, worth noting that these kinds of polls allow people to change their mind at any stage before closing – so if there’s a close call as a poll is about to end, someone could sneakily switch their vote. ↩︎

7 Likes

I am so glad I could change my vote here - first I didn’t realise that we couldn’t vote for multiple stories (like with previous polls), and then when I redid that vote, I realised we were voting for what we wanted to be eliminated, not kept :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

The Moonbase is just a dull rehash of The Tenth Planet. I want it gone

7 Likes

Bye, bye, “Closing Time”! At least “Nightmare in Silver” has a badass Clara.

5 Likes

Time of the Doctor has to go - it’s not really a Cyberman story and it’s also crap.

8 Likes

i vote for secret option 23: The Flood (as the one i want to win)

4 Likes

Why DO people hate nightmare in silver? I think it wasn’t that bad

And I like closing time lots…..

I picked revenge because it’s my least fav of all the cybermen things I’ve seen so far

6 Likes

I actually don’t know why people dislike it either. The only thing I can think of is the controversies around the writer, but that’s a relatively recent thing…

8 Likes

My niggles with Nightmare in Silver: the Cybermen are ridiculously over-powered and may as well just be super robots; Matt Smith goes over the top as Mr Clever to an annoying degree; the child actors are insufferable; Clara as a character is all over the shop; the potential of being in an abandoned space theme park is never quite realised. I also don’t like the new Cyberman design. YMMV.

7 Likes

Very fun idea, I probably haven’t seen enough of them to take part yet

2 Likes

When you can’t tell which episode this is about… :grimacing:

5 Likes

I largely agree. However, I thought the Cybermen scenes in those stories were just
enough to include them in the game. Also, I was originally going to create a bracket tournament and I wanted both as many stories as could be considered a Cyberman story and an even number of stories.

As for The Time of the Doctor specifically, I also really like the idea of wodden Cybermen. Completely unpractical and easily defeated, but unique[1]

Well, voting tactically is part of the game, just like in a standard elimination game. As I mentioned in the last one I created, I only upvoted my favorite story and I downvoted the story I considered its biggest threat each time I voted.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” We’ll see how it plays out in this game.

Absolutely. However, I haven’t seen that in the bracket tournaments I’ve run, other than one time I voted for the story I liked less, so as to not create a tie.


  1. I wonder how long it will be before there are wooden Daleks, ↩︎

6 Likes

This is a particularly interesting one to me because there are very few Cybermen stories I really get on with. I don’t particularly enjoy them as a villain and I think it’s very rare they’re handled well. They worked best in the black-and-white era, but only sporadically - The Moonbase and The Wheel in Space are incredibly dull (and fairly interchangable in my head), and The Tenth Planet isn’t far behind. Then in the 70s and 80s, they were nothing short of comical in consistently painful stories (yes, even Earthshock). The modern era cybermen were barely any better up until the Capaldi finales, which are the only ones I can really abide other than The Invasion (which I do love). Thinking about it, they seem to fit into four distinct tiers (excluding the ones that aren’t really Cyberman stories[1])

Genuinely good stories

The Invasion

The Capaldi finales

Passable stories but nothing remarkable

Tomb

The Whittaker finales[2]

Borderline mediocre stories

The Tenth Planet

All Tennant and Smith stories

Kind of painful stories

Moonbase & Wheel

All 70s and 80s stories

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Utter trash

The BF Cyberman range

.

.

EDIT: I totally forgot Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. That is a rare brilliant RTD Cyberman story and would go in the top tier. Even though the clompiness of the dudes is irritating.


  1. Five Doctors, Time of the Doctor ↩︎

  2. I really dislike Power of the Doctor but one of its few almost redeeming qualities is its use of the Cybermen IMO ↩︎

6 Likes

Nightmare in Silver implodes with 10 votes.

Remember: vote for the story you want to be eliminated

  • The Tenth Planet
  • The Moonbase
  • The Tomb of the Cybermen
  • The Wheel in Space
  • The Invasion
  • Revenge of the Cybermen
  • Earthshock
  • The Five Doctors
  • Attack of the Cybermen
  • Silver Nemesis
  • Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel
  • Army of Ghosts / Doomsday
  • The Next Doctor
  • Closing Time
  • The Time of the Doctor
  • Dark Water / Death in Heaven
  • World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls
  • The Haunting of Villa Diodati
  • Ascension of the Cybermen / The Timeless Children
  • The Power of the Doctor
0 voters

Closing Time most sticks out to me.

3 Likes