Comic Club: The Seventh Doctor: Operation Volcano

Celebrate classic Doctor Who action with a modern twist! An unknown alien intelligence in orbit around the Earth. Astronauts under attack. A terrifying, mysterious landing in the Australian interior. The future of the world itself at stake. Counter Measures activated. And the Seventh Doctor and Ace slap bang in the middle of it all! This is OPERATION VOLCANO!

Rate and review below:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
2 Likes

This was the weakest of the Classic Doctors mini-series. It just did not grab me that much. It might be that I do not remember the characters that well from Remembrance of the Daleks (sorry @sircarolyn and @jae). It was okay but nothing more.

7 Likes

Of the Titan mini-series, this is the one I was most looking forward to. Seventh reuniting with the writer that helped usher the show as a whole into its second Golden Age, cut short as it may have been (the trajectory from Season 24 to Season 26 is one of the most meteoric I’ve seen for any show, and 26 in particular is hands-down my favourite series).

But after reading it, while still pretty good, it’s not all that noteworthy. I like its sprawling narrative structure, got some definite Curse Of Fenric vibes from the scale of it all, and I appreciate seeing stories taking place in Australia, but it ends up being less than the sum of its parts.

6 Likes

Is this comic ‘good’? Idk, I haven’t really read enough comics to have any kind of idea what I find really good in a comic. Does this comic give me a headache for my CM timeline? You bet it does!! Did I enjoy it? Allison beats someone over the head with a wrench, of course I did <3

I think if I’m being objective, I agree with the above comments that this isn’t really anything special and though it’s not bad, it’s not great either. HOWEVER I am but a vessel for loving Allison Williams AND Rachel works on a jet engine so I, being simple, did enjoy it plenty



them :)

5 Likes

Read this a couple times over the years and sadly nothing really sticks out about it. I remember being so excited when it was announces but this is definitely one of the weaker classic Doctor mini series.

However more Counter Measures was certainly nice, especially in comic form.

3 Likes

I quite liked this one but it definitely could have been stronger. The art was really good though, in my opinion.

4 Likes

I enjoyed the art in the main story. I also enjoyed the backup strips; they add some excitement to the book.

2 Likes

This was just rather a weird one like it’s clear they left it open ended but like they just did nothing with any of it afterwards rather annoying

3 Likes

I agree with all the above that the story line wasn’t the best, but I did enjoy the Counter Measures team and I do hope to see more of them.

I did also like the back up comics that were in this volume, especially the one with the First Doctor, Susan, Ian, and Barbara.

2 Likes