Comic Club: DWM 15: Doctor Who and the Free-Fall Warriors

Having a vacation at the Festival of the Five Planets, the Doctor is having fun. That is until the Free-Fall Warriors arrive.

Rate and review below:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters

I hate when dem stories do this like look it’s a random other comic strip let’s throw them in doctor who for the lols and make a really bad story from it

3 Likes

Do I remember the first thing about this comic? No. But apparently I really liked it which is noteworthy as its raited poorly and its an early DWM

4 Likes

Of all the early DWM strips this is possibly the one I have the least memory of except the four weirdly-headed Freefall Warriors. Yet another strip throws the Doctor into a violent world which he, uncharacteristically, seems to embrace without a second thought. This strip also introduces Doctor Ivan Asimoff, alien science fiction writer who serves absolutely no purpose in the story beyond being a bit odd.

The eponymous Warriors are an odd bunch and I’m not entirely sure what their deal is. Are they mercenaries, are they criminals, are they racers? I’m intrigued enough to venture into their spin-off which appeared in the pages of Captain Britain, but this story makes literally no attempt to explain who or what they are or even why one of them is a tiger (Big Tiger), one a shark (Bruce - yes really), one an Dr Manhattan style android (Cool Breeze (!)) and one with a head shaped like his spaceship - Machine Head.

The story, what there is of it, involves the Doctor going for a trip in Machine Head’s ship and ending up caught up in a space battle which the rest of the warriors then get involved in and destroy all the raider spacecraft.

It’s distinctly un-Doctor Whoey and smacks of a more 2000AD sort of vibe. A lot of the DWM strips, like The Deal and End of the Line, have skewed much more into this and I look forward to moving away from this when the Fifth Doctor arrives and the strips become a bit more like Doctor Who actually is supposed to be.

Not a fan at all.

5 Likes

I liked the first part of this comic. It was fun to see the Doctor relax with his new friend. The second part lost me completely, with it being just action and almost no plot. I also felt that the warrior gang needed more of an introduction because I felt that I did not get to know them.

4 Likes

Yeah, like others have said, this one doesn’t quite work. A lack of plot is the main problem, as is the fact that the Doctor is very passive throughout. I enjoyed Asimov, though, even though he didn’t really add anything to this. The villains are trash, though.

Despite the imaginative setting and memorable character designs, Doctor Who and the Free-Fall Warriors is all action and very little substance. It is energetic on the surface, but oddly dull underneath.

4/10 = Underwhelming

5 Likes