Comic Club: DWM 12: Spider-God

The Terran Survey Vessel Excelsior, commanded by Louis B Frederick, lands on planet UX-4732. They find a strange blue box nearby. Then the Doctor steps out to greet them. He introduces them to a primitive but rather idyllic village, all is well until the giant spider appears.
This was first published in Doctor Who – A Marvel Monthly #52

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters

Has no one else commented here yet?

Spider-God is a classic strip from the early years of DWM and one I remember vividly. The cautionary tale aspect is well done and the presentation of an alien ecosystem is clever and thought-provoking. So many iconic images in this that have stuck in my memory.

And this final set of frames is gorgeous:

(Actually I think the colour choice in the version I have is even better than here for the butterfly person).

And obviously there are echoes of The Web Planet here, which is never a bad thing.

6 Likes

I thought this was a simple, well done first contact story. I felt I got my money’s worth.
Also, I read this story and War of the Words in an issue of the Marvel 80s American reprints. What volumes are other people using to read the DWM comics?
Picture of the copy I bought:

Wiki article about series:

1 Like

I generally either use the Panini collections through my library (or ILL) or the individual issues on Internet Archive.

2 Likes

That’s the copy I have!

2 Likes

I felt compelled to write a longer review as I realised I really like this story:

3 Likes

Another okay ish story again 4 alone in my eyes just can’t carry a story

1 Like

I actually really liked this. It was fun and campy—a great use of the low page count.

3 Likes

A giant friendly spider hatching humanoid babies in a world populated by deaf and mute golden aliens. Only in Doctor Who, guys!

This was trippy and kind of fun. Nothing super memorable, but it doesn’t have to be. I had a good time with it.

7/10 = Good

2 Likes