Characters That You Don't Talk About

I love minor characters a lot already especially DW is a perfect show for that

5 Likes

I really like Orcini. He’s such a great character despite only appearing once. He’s probably my favourite one-off character. I think he’s really well developed, and I wish we’d gotten to see more of him on screen, in BF, or anywhere, really. He has a Cutaway Comic, but it’s not particularly memorable…

One day I’ll have to write to the Big Finish podcast begging them to have Orcini appear in at least one audio…

9 Likes

I feel like these are actually characters that I do talk about that other people don’t as much, but…

10 Likes

This is an excellent post. I love how much you’ve really thought about ROSM and about the emergence of emotional personality in AI entities in general. Thank you.

3 Likes

Then you need to do yourself a favour and get into the UNIT Brave New World series. It’s fantastic!

6 Likes

Ducat and Rumford, the two Amelias :star_struck: (well, one Amelia and one Emilia, but it’s close enough). I love them both, and you can really see how Tom Baker’s performance sparkles in their presence. They are fantastic. Professor Rumford, in particular, has huge potential for further storytelling. Beautifully written by David Fisher and an utterly charming performance by Beatrix Lehman.

5 Likes

I definitely will after I watch “Battlefield”)

4 Likes

You’re welcome :3

I’m weirdly obsessed with how the robots are written in fiction

5 Likes

Sadly, Beatrix’s last performance, as she died the next year.

She’s in lost media, too. Seems she played Susan Calvin in a lost episode of the show “Out of the Unknown”. (And just scanning over the episodes, that show seems like it adapted a number of good classic sci-fi stories…)

1 Like

It was indeed. I am thrilled that she was able to give such a wonderful performance for our quirky and brilliant show, however. She will ever be remembered, and it seems fitting that one of classic Doctor Who’s best female roles is how she will be remembered by so many. Fiercely intelligent, a force-of-nature personality and not cowed by even the most bizarre situations.

Beatrix Lehman, I salute you. David Fisher, thank you for writing such witty and wonderful characters (I don’t think he gets anywhere near enough credit for actually writing great parts for women in DW at a time when casts - and most of the best roles - were dominated by men). Finally, and most of all, Professor Rumford, I adored you. You live on. Your mark forever made. Your rival, Leamington-Smith, forgotten in the annals of academic history because, as you said so well, his work was “complete bosh”.

Emilia Rumford, you were a marvel!

6 Likes