Change how next/previous buttons work

Hi,

So I don’t quite know if this is possible in all fairness and I don’t know if this is the case for every thing but this suggestion is based on books.

Instead of having every book by BBC books follow one after another when clicking the arrows on the cover, would it not be better to have a single range so you’re not jumping from the NSAs to the PDAs to EDAs. I know you can just click on the section in the info box that says NSA if you only want to look at NSA’s but it just seems like it would be more convenient to organise all books by range anyway.

Of course, like I said, it may not be possible on the formatting as I can’t claim to know how the coding for this website works. I’m sorry if this reads as presumptive or rude.

1 Like

I am actually planning to change how the next/previous buttons work - I’m going to make them go by set. So it would work exactly as you say.

The only reason I haven’t done it yet is because I’m not sure what to do when you get to the start/end of a set that doesn’t have a natural next item. Should it just stop? Would that be confusing? Should I have two arrows - one for next in Set, one for next chronologically?

A bit stuck as to what to do there which is why it has been left.

What does everyone think?

2 Likes

Sounds like when you get to the end of a set you need a ‘where next?’ button instead of just ‘next’.

This could lead to a lselection of (uncompleted?) stories which start new sets. Fo extra credit, label them with any relationship to the set just completed (More Dalek stories, More stories with Steven Taylor, etc.)

4 Likes

If it’s possible you could have like a section that says “We think these may also interest you” and then a small list of different ranges but I also understand that depends on the limitations of the website if there are any.

1 Like

Hey, update on this - the next/previous buttons now work in a new way!

Previously they went just to the next/previous chronological release in the same “media” category, so as @Planely said, it would jump between NSAa and PDAs.

Now they only go to the next/previous story in the same set, or a connected set.

I’ve been testing this out and it all seems to work, it does rely on Sets being properly organised though so I may have missed something - please have a play and let me know what you think!

(As for what to do at the end of a set - I’ll get to that later :wink: )

3 Likes

Is it weird that I’m excited by such a change? Probably but it’s fun!

1 Like

Not weird at all!

You’re excited because it was your idea and it was turned around quickly :blush:

Let me know if you have any other ideas!

1 Like