A place to discuss the classic British TV show The Avengers, it’s 1970s sequel The New Avengers, the novels, comic books, audio versions, even the 1998 movie!
Created by Sydney Newman & beginning in 1961 it originally starred Patrick Macnee & Ian Hendry as a crime fighting duo. Hendry left after the first season & Macnee was partnered with Honor Blackman. This is definitely how the show is best remembered, with the male & female partnership.
The show often had a playful tone alongside action & fight scenes, & a surreal edge. Pure escapism that was a defining part of the pop culture of 60s Britain. The epitome of Spy-Fi with its plots often involving futuristic tech & Cold War espionage.
The pairing of the suave Macnee as John Steed with glamorous Diana Rigg as the wonderful Emma Peel is for me the best era. The flirtatious duo had an effortless charm, the cheeky banter between them irresistible & infinitely watchable.
5 Likes
I will admit I haven’t seen it all in ages, but I always remember enjoying it a lot. Also, the BF audio series is worth a listen. That first series is a lot different to what it becomes, but is rather good.
4 Likes
Not heard any of the BF audios.
3 Likes
It’s a remake of the first series as the originals are wiped.
4 Likes
I’ve only seen bits and pieces of episodes as they show up on TV, but every time I have to tear myself away from them (to watch whatever I turned on the TV to watch) because they’re so witty and delightful 
I’ve heard a smattering of BF audios as well and they’re always incredibly fun. Here’s a quote from The Norse Code I transcribed because it made me simply howl:
BARMAN: What does he look like?
STEED: Like a melancholy autumn day haunted by the memory of spring but with the prospect of a good winter ahead.
BARMAN: Oh, him.
Very fun!!
8 Likes
I think I’ve listened to the first box set of Lost Episodes - or maybe just the first story. It has Sophie Aldred doing a very questionable (and possibly racist) performance, if I remember rightly.
3 Likes
Another delightful 50 minutes in the company of Steed & Peel. S4E14 Silent Dust.
Our beloved duo begin the adventure messing about on the river, before enjoying some Rosé.
Some fabulous attire
Nice to hear Steed quoting Oscar Wilde about fox hunting, “the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable.”
4 Likes
It’s the Doctor and Romana!
4 Likes
Also, added Audio Log links to the Avengers ranges from BF. This gives me a reason to listen to them for the first time.
2 Likes
I can probably count the number of episodes I’ve seen on one hand, but I did go to the cinema to see the film in 1998 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yet another franchise I can’t wait to dive into…ooh, since I’m in 1965 and the show began in 1961, I can watch those early seasons now, assuming I can find them to stream somewhere!
Also, I’ve been having so much fun with AL today that I haven’t even touched the recovered DMP episode forum thread, which I’m sure says something about my priorities. 
4 Likes
Like the Dredd movie with Stallone this is another film that fans don’t like. I seem to recall it being OK, not amazing but fun.
2 Likes
That’s a good way to describe it - fun. I can certainly see fans of the show not liking it much, but it made for a fun time at the cinema.
1 Like
I just finished watching the surviving footage of the first episode, and it appeared for a moment as if that guy was climbing over the fence into the Totter’s Lane junkyard.
It’s a shame so much of this season is missing.
2 Likes
Started The Comic Strip Adaptations, a decent first adventure with
Return to Castle De’ath. Captures the flavour of the era quite well.
4 Likes
On Facebook a few years ago, I wrote a little essay titled Five Films I Like That (Nearly) Everyone Else Hates*, and The Avengers (1998) was top of the list. I very much enjoyed Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman’s take on John Steed and Emma Peel. I also enjoyed watching Sean Connery chew the scenery, playing the sort of villain he used to take down on a regular basis as Bond. Yes, I can see all the problems with the film, but almost all of them are due to the savage cuts inflicted upon it prior to release. I’d love to see a version with all those missing scenes restored – The Avengers Reassembled, anyone?
*In case anyone’s interested, the other four films were: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), Dark Shadows (2012) and Ghostbusters (2016).
6 Likes
Oh, I would love to see an extended cut of The Avengers!
By the way, I like every one of the films on your list.
2 Likes