I was warned beforehand that Wishing Well is a boring book. A bit like The Art of Destruction, which I struggled to finish.
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find this one much better than Art. It’s not a classic by any means, but it’s a breezy read.
Here’s a TL;DR of my review:
Wishing Well is a serviceable slice of rural horror, packed with eerie imagery, buried alien secrets, and familiar Doctor Who tropes. But its flat pacing, clunky dialogue, and a strangely muted Tenth Doctor mean it struggles to make the most of its premise. The last act rallies with stronger character moments and a properly spooky alien, but the journey there is an uphill trudge. You won’t wish you’d never read it, but nor will it top your list of hidden treasures.
Here’s my non-spoilery review for those who fancy a read. Thanks!
It’s inoffensive but stretched out beyond its natural plot life:
(It also has a weird way of referring to the guest cast by their full names throughout which sort of suggests they’re pretty forgettable and the author is trying to help us remember who is who).
Yeah that was a pretty slow and boring one and I listened to the audiobook that cuts stuff out. I just finished and still have nothing to say about it.
I always enjoy it when the Doctor has people with more age and experience with him. And Angela in particular did not disappoint. 87 year old woman with very little left to fear and an attitude I would not want to cross!
However the actual story itself was okay. I wasn’t as invested in it as I was in the characters. It was an okay read, but it was a little slow.