Update: I have finished my review of this crap without reaching for the nearest bottle of alcohol!
Hooray!
Update: I have finished my review of this crap without reaching for the nearest bottle of alcohol!
Hooray!
I hear a lot of discourse surrounding this lost Season 27.
And I just want to say, from the sounds of it, it could’ve been worse.
They could’ve adapted Neil Penswick’s original idea for The Pit after all.

Honestly, Cartmel not writing for Big Finish is fine by me.
Winter for the Adept is Big Finish’s version of The Legend of the Sea Devils in my opinion.
Oof! Even I think that’s harsh ![]()
I feel like my biggest issue with that audio is that Cartmel is clearly writing for Seven and Ace.
He cannot do other Tardis Teams.
Yeah Dominion is a great story ![]()
I had no idea who Raine was though, so I spent a lot of time wondering if she was using some sort of psychic jiggery-pokery to have the Doctor believe that she was his current travelling companion ![]()
Alex McQueen was great from the start, and Klein had a really good part to play in that story ![]()
I don’t think there’s a single thing in Winter for the Adept that I like, and the only reason it’s not a hard 1/10 is because I think it’s fun to point and laugh at.
Except for the dialogue, that was just the most painful thing I’ve ever had to sit through:
“Oooh, a floating table, just what I’ve always wanted!” said a character with complete sincerity.
Debating whether or not to make a start on my ‘Paradise 5’ review.
Might just leave it till tomorrow when I’m fully rested, cause this is one story that deserves my full attention.
It’s been far too long since I listened to Season 27 but I don’t remember hating it. I do know that I find Cartmel a tricky customer. I found his Script Doctor book a hard read and came away from it thinking he was a rather arrogant person - and this from someone who loves his era as script editor.
Of the Lost Stories, I probably said earlier in this thread but the best ones, for me, are, in no particular order:
I’m genuinely shocked to see that one there, Delta.
It’s been around two years since I listened to it last, but I remember writing my review for the other site and giving it a 4/10.
Obviously I’m rewriting all my ‘Lost Stories’ reviews during the current relistens, so things might change.
The main critique I gave it was just that I found it boring, and that stung a lot more since that’s my favourite black and white era TARDIS team.
Oh no this is a definite 4/5 for me.
It’s hugely evocative of its era and I just remember finding it thoroughly charming (if a bit overlong).
Deathworld is the only Lost Story I’ve heard so far (though I want to listen to Macedon, heard too many good things!) but I loved it. Looking forward to checking out more of the good parts of the range some time
It occurred to me as I brushed my teeth this morning that hardly anyone has talked about the Fourth Doctor Lost Stories - The Foe from the Future and The Valley of Fear. I quite liked both of these.

Yeah I think Dominion is the only good story Raine appears in lol
Earth Aid isn’t bad but it’s really sullied by just being a part of that quartet of stinkers.
I think the aliens in Animal are pretty funny actually, but the story is one of the slowest and most boring I’ve ever endured from Doctor Who, and I’m particularly disappointed in it because it has Bambera who is one of my all-time favorite Who characters and I was really excited to see her return.
I always forget about the 4 box. For some reason my mind always places them with Philip Hinchcliffe Presents but every time I dip into that box I remember how spectacular it is.
I knew there was a reason i liked you
Does anyone ever wonder if they would like their favorite TV Who stories as much (or at all) if they were audio only?
The Lost Stories range has quite a few duds/middling stories, and sometimes I wonder if I would like them better had they been televised[1]. Similarly, I wonder if I would like my favorite TV stories as much as I do if they were only in audio format.
The Nightmare Fair being a big one ↩︎
Disagree with you on the nightmare fair - i really enjoyed that one
Some of the other lost S23 ones aren’t the best tho
I often wonder what Genesis of Terror would’ve been like on TV, shame it was never made /j /s
It’s more of a shame they DID make it for audio…