Big Finish’s 2024 New Writer Competition

For any of the writers around here.

4 Likes

Range producer Peter Anghelides said: “This year, our competition’s theme is the Time War. And for the first time, we’re also allowing people to use the Daleks, if they wish.

oh this is going to be interesting

8 Likes

ah, every year i think i should submit to this and every year i don’t… maybe this time.

10 Likes

Ohhhhh this is super exciting!! I usually enter every year but I’m extra excited that Veklin and Ollistra are on the table here

6 Likes

I’ve entered a couple over the last few years. Never gone anywhere. I’ve found it easier now just to work on my own stuff.

Was brainstorming a concept for this and now trying to rework it because I genuinely liked the idea and questioning how to make it Time War-themed.

4 Likes

Well I haven’t listened to any of the Time War stuff yet so that counts me out (again!) One day maybe I’ll enter but I always find the themes too restrictive.

3 Likes

I tell myself I’m going to enter every year and never end up doing so. But Time War and the Daleks means I won’t even pretend I’m going to try this year - I’ve hardly listened to any of the Time War stuff and Daleks aren’t my favourite so doubt I’d come up with anything particularly interesting.

3 Likes

Daleks aren’t required, just allowed, but yeah I think the Time War theme is fairly limiting

2 Likes

Thing is, if they’ve allowed Daleks for the first time, then they are going to choose a story with Daleks most likely.

4 Likes

When I first heard they do these competitions I was very excited to participate, but I didn’t realise there would be a theme. I haven’t listened to any of the Time War stuff, so I don’t really have ideas. I guess I’ll have to wait til next year.

2 Likes

it says you don’t have to fit in with the events/continuity of the time war audios, so i figure one could enter with something inspired by the time war as it appears on the show. from the link:

The important word here is inspired. We are not insisting that you must fit in with the events and continuity of Big Finish’s Time War ranges; you do not have to set your story on Gallifrey, and like some of our best Big Finish stories, you don’t have to include the Daleks.

i think if i enter it’ll be a new who doctor and a flashback situation–that’s more interesting to me than anything set during the time war

8 Likes

Honestly I got a quite frankly ridiculous idea that has been rattling inside my head for a while, but dang it I think it actually could work in a Time War setting.
Which companions do the Eighth Doctor travel with in the Time War box sets? And do the War Doctor have any companions in the Big Finish stories?

Also what’s up with those guidelines? No established characters? How am I supposed to write anything of worth if I can’t include Bill Filer! :wink::wink::wink:

8 Likes

8 travels with Bliss, a science student (some kind of space physics or engineering I think, I can’t remember the details) whose home planet was wiped from history by the timelords.

Later he travels with Alex, his great-grandson from the end of the Lucie Miller range, (back from the dead because of multiverse stuff), and Cass, from Night of the Doctor (but mysteriously before their first meeting in that story).

4 Likes

Thanks @NyssaUnbound

Cass? Are we looking at yet another memory wipe situation for the 8th Doctor? :grin:

3 Likes

Without getting into spoilers, it appears to be more interesting than that

4 Likes

Intriguing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

And I don’t we’ve gotten answers yet.

2 Likes

Which is why I’m very interested the upcoming October release Time War - Uncharted 1.

4 Likes