A fun little game I like to play with myself at the end of every month is to speculate (basically just guess based on what’s coming out) on what the free newsletter extract and Big Finish Book Club discounted audio will be. I thought it would be fun to do as a community and track who guesses right the most over time. I hope some of you will join in and have a cheeky punt with me. :)
August 2026
So for this inaugural month, my guesses are Doctor Who: The Sixth Doctor Adventures: Reunion for the extract and Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures: One Mile Down for the Book Club, based on Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor Adventures: Hidden in Plain Sight .
Feel free to chime in with your guesses below and tomorrow we’ll see who was right and who was wrong :)
Ha, I often do this too! I guess I’ll pick the 2DAs for the excerpt then, and bookclub I would think something Turlough, but there’s not a lot of great standalone releases that’d work… Maybe they’ll just do Mastermind or something… It’s gonna be CDNM 1 or something like that though ain’t it?
I honestly do not understand why The Doomwood Curse is the Book Club this month? I guess the 6das are out but I would have thought something like the Widow’s Assassin or the Sixth Doctor and Peri Volume 1 would have been more appropriate? Maybe this is leading to the announcement of Charlotte Pollard Volume 3?
I suppose because it was a 6/Charley run. And “The Hallamshire Incident” did feature Patricia Menzies.
Though in that case they should’ve picked “The Condemned”, where she actually appears lol
The thing is, they usually have a relation to something from the month they’re in? We’ll have to wait for Vortex I suppose.
Aughh I’m stupid, I should’ve known it was this. I already commented on the price for it being weird compared to the other releases in the MR sale but chalked it up to a mistake or some sort of leftover, but for some reason didn’t think that thing could’ve been this month’s bookclub. Looking at vortex, it’s been chosen because Dick Turpin plays a role in it, and Turpin’s second volume was of course supposed to come out this month before rescheduling. All makes sense… Now we’ve still got to see the results of the excerpt game!
Having just checked the What’s New page, it’s The Haunted Windmill.
Ha, that’s one nonexistent internet point for me!
I had discounted it from consideration because of its early release but egg on my face haha
I guessed the excerpt link (took last month’s but changed the numbers and “Ash” into “Raven”, lowkey amazed that worked first try), if anyone wants to also play guess the password before the emails come in lolol.
it is a jumping on point so that may be why!
Wait! I get it now.
“The Doomwood Curse” is shattering the fourth wall to pieces. And the upcoming River set is promising to do the same.
Unfortunately also not this month ![]()
I really should wake up properly before writing these messages xD
September 2026
Welp we’re just under a week away from the end of the month so here my guesses go. For the extract, I’ll go with The Fifth Doctor Adventures: Shock and Awe , and for the book club I’ll go with The Diary of River Song Volume 1 based on The Death and Life of River Song: War Widow.
Aahhh that time of the month again. Even though I’d like them to advertise something else for once, they’ve pretty consistently had Fourth Doctor being the excerpt whenever possible, so that’s my guess for that. Though last year around this time it wasn’t, so who knows! I would also think that they’d want to do something to promote their big NuWho River Song release, but that’s at the beginning of the month, and bookclub is usually for the end of the month release… I’m guessing that’s gonna be the Master, so like And You Will Obey Me maybe? Though The Two Masters would be nice cause I don’t have that one lol.
Aah okay okay the excerpt is River lol. I was half right with my Master as bookclub thing though! It’s a Geoffrey Beevers audiobook! Very original choice, and it’s one I’ve actually been thinking of for a while so I’m really happy with it! (Yeah, I am one of those crazy people who keeps up with their non-Who releases)
I’m definitely more than willing to give it a shot so I’ve picked it up, nice to have something I don’t already own as a change from last month!
Oops, time really got away from me this month!
My extract prediction is one of the stories from the Hallowe’en box set and my book club prediction is the Dorian Gray adaptation (coin toss between that and vol 1)