Best of the 16 Lowest Rated Episodes (on 2/14/2024)

I went and looked at the bottom of the list in the guide ratings-wise, skipping the two animated specials, and these were the bottom 16. I’m going with 16 rather than 15 as 15 and 16 are both rated 3.1 (and if I continued to 3.2, I think the list would go up to 29 or so…)

Just generally mark the episodes here that you like or think aren’t all that bad, and feel free to talk about why.

• Legend of the Sea Devils
  • The Space Pirates
  • Timelash
  • Underworld
  • Time-Flight
  • The Web Planet
  • The Twin Dilemma
  • Warriors of the Deep
  • Time and the Rani
  • The King’s Demons
  • Revolution of the Daleks
  • Orphan 55
  • The Awakening
  • Resolution
  • The Power of Kroll
  • The Celestial Toymaker
0 voters
2 Likes

Why I love Time-Flight:

Why I like The Celestial Toymaker:

2 Likes

I actually stopped the list right before Delta and the Bannermen. too. But there were 13 other episodes with the same rating…

I’ll have to contact @shauny because Delta and the Bannermen being anywhere near the bottom of the site’s rating is obviously a bug in the system…

4 Likes

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: Oh dear! I’ll get that fixed straight away :eyes:

Get to it man, get to it!

To be fair, there is some funkiness going on here, as, looking closer, The Awakening was rated 3.2, but was between two 3.0 episodes when sorted by rating. If I’d noticed that, I’d probably have left it off.

I think we may have discussed ratings before on Mastodon? Was it you?

Basically, the way ratings are sorted is different to their actual rating, because they are weighted.

Stories with far fewer votes but a higher average score than another story don’t ‘earn’ their rating, so they are bumped down.

It’s a proper algorithm based on maths and science, so I don’t argue with it.

So then I have the trouble of how to display them - I can either display the “weighted” average and the score changes when you click into it (had people complain about that) or display the “proper” average and have the order look wrong (had people complain about that), I can’t win!!

I am going to at some point put a big warning or message about this when you use the sort feature :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

All that to say - the order you saw is fine, don’t worry about it :laughing:

Not if Delta and the Bannermen is anywhere near the bottom it isn’t…

It’s always so interesting seeing which episodes people generally rank where - I almost always disagree with the DWM listings as a Six and Seven lover, naff episodes enjoyer, Time-Flight apologist, and Talons of Weng Chiang hater. Some of these I do agree with though here. Unfortunately Dr Who has never got pirates quite right…

1 Like

I listened to The Smugglers again recently and actually enjoyed it more than I have in the past. The Loose Cannon reconstruction is quite good.

I like Delta and the Bannermen. I’d argue that it’s the best story of Season 24.

2 Likes

You sir, are a man of great taste.

1 Like

I’m partial to Paradise towers myself, but then that was my oldest memory…

I do like delta and the bannermen though

2 Likes

I know! Although not many people recognise it.

1 Like

A lot of great episodes here but I absolutely adore Resolution!! Shocked to see it up there.

I do go for Web Planet of Resolution. While the former is by no means a properly good Story, it’s pretty fun I won’t lie. The latter is okay, not a Masterpiece but definitely not a bottom tier story. And the Awakening? I like it, it’s not a masterpiece but it’s very solid.
Also, the fact that nobody chose the Space Pirates speaks for Volume, while I wouldn’t put it on the bottom, even as big Throughton Fan, I’d rather forget about this Story entirely

4 Likes

Yeah, I actually ended up watching the Web Planet for the first time a while ago, but after this thread, and ended up posting my thoughts on it.

I actually was feeling really favorable towards it the first episode or two, before the actual story got going, because it had some great bits, such as Vicki not taking aspirin because she thinks it’s primitive, with a lot of back and forth between her and Barbara, and some great stuff between the Doctor and Ian (and his pen!).

4 Likes

Yes! It’s definitely one of the positives, for me personally while I see the flaws, I admire them trying so much, even if it didn’t pay off in the end. I think our four main leads, their chemistry, and their dynamic also helps the Story greatly, like you said!

3 Likes