Battles in Time Comics

We already have topics for Doctor Who Adventures comics and Doctor Who Magazine comics, so now we have a topic for discussing the comic strips from the Battles in Time trading card game tie-in magazine!

(Oh, and don’t worry, there aren’t as many as the DWA comics, only 70 this time!)

7 Likes

The first story is split into six equally uninteresting parts, but it is fun if you really love The End of the World.

7 Likes

Just read Glutonoid Menace.

What was the point of all that?

5 Likes

I read all of them a month or so back, and yeah, they’re all pretty meh

But hey, at least they’re only 4 pages each

My personal highlight was probably the cyberman 4 parter because of the Torchwood mention, and I thought it was a fun way to bring in the Cybermen again while connecting to the TV show

6 Likes

(Comics which I realised weren’t on my Torchwood Timeline, but now are

5 Likes

Yeah that specific reference was one of the few things I remember liking too

5 Likes

I just read the Rose ones. They are not that good, are they…

4 Likes

I liked that the food machine made a comeback! End of the positive stuff about this comic.

3 Likes

Oh, the Battles in Times Comics, while I am far from having read all the Comics, they are very much “what ever” in my Eyes, the Art is okay and there are some neat Ideas. (Such as having some of them being multiple Parts instead of a one-done like the Adventures ones). I think I will still try to read the ones I haven’t because 4 Pages is almost a present if you are somebody who likes to complete Stories. Sadly there isn’t much substance there, which is a shame when it brings in many Parts for one Story and not just “Just 4 pages, and it’s over”, oh well :/.
The Cybermen one was somewhat fine, had some nice Art thrown in there and I liked the Location Changes.

4 Likes

Well I decided to finish this Series today since I didn’t have much left to read and really 4 pages Stories are a quick read. Well hmm…
This is very much “Doctor Who on Autopilot” for me. No disrespect at any of the Creatives involved, but it feels so generic. There are good Things, the Art is consistently and never really changes its Artstyle into something worse, it’s not a particular favorite Artstyle, but one, where I cannot deny that this is solid Stuff. Going with a more cartoony-approach all the Way through was the Way to go here, really! As for the Stories itself, hm…
They are fine, most of them could be seen as “fine”, but a lot of them, and I am not joking, a lot of them are so dull. Most if not all of them don’t offer much. And that’s a shame, of course you are fairly limited with 4 Pages, even if like this, a lot of the Strips build up on each other and will have basically a huge Story around 8–16 Pages. That said, even reading them in order, it almost feels a bit disconnected at time, where this “one Story” Concept kinda falls apart.
I am aware it’s targeted very much at a much younger Audience and that’s okay, that said the lack of some more Substance is kinda disappointing. Despite really not liking some early DWA Strips after some it figured itself somewhat out and while most of them leave a lot to be desired, at least they offer a cool Idea, which has the excuse of being fairly limited. Here? There isn’t much of an excuse.
It’s really generic, it’s really dull, it’s boring.
I don’t like to be too negative about Doctor Who, but this is really a range that I don’t recommend anybody. Unless you are the biggest tenth Doctor Fan and want some new Stories of him and that’s what you have left, but even then I’d recommend other Doctors and other Comic Ranges much more.
Somebody please gift me a Shirt that said “I read all the Doctor Who Battles in Time Comics and got nothing out of it”!!

7 Likes

I’m done!

No badge?

3 Likes

Just sat down and read all the Battles in Time comics. Not too bad, I preferred these over the Doctor Who Adventures Comics.

1 Like

These are mostly shite :sweat_smile: going through them just now..

2 Likes

The dichotomy of Doctor Who fans in one easy screenshot…

4 Likes

oh no, they’re right. I don’t think I rated any higher than 3 stars (and that was a RARE occasion)

2 Likes

Yeah, only 18 stories got as high as 3.5/5, or about 25%. However I did rate the last one 4/5, so apparently it ended well.

My favorite part of Battles in Time is when I found a website that certainly looked like it was the people who made the comics where you could download all of them. So I’m pretty sure they’re legally freely available

2 Likes

I know what you’re talking about and don’t think that website was official

3 Likes

I could be wrong, and dont want to break the form rules about illegal sources. But it’s worth looking around for a legal source for people who are interested as there’s no harm in trying. I’ld say that for everything really.

1 Like