Audio Club: Time Reef / A Perfect World

It’s time to listen to and discuss Time Reef / A Perfect World

Buy it online using the link above.

Even if you listened to it before and just want to discuss it - dive right in! Just please use spoiler tags!

Everyone who participates will get a coveted Audio Club badge! :medal_military:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Time Reef

Select your rating (out of 10):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters

A Perfect World

Select your rating (out of 10):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters

Another couple of entries into the “world’s most forgettable doctor who stories” competition. I really do not like Brewster.

2 Likes

The Brewster arc ends with the soft, clumsy thud of a parachutist at the end of their trip.

  • “Time Reef” is way more engaging than most of the 2008 Main Range stories, but is still missing the special sauce that made “The Condemned”, “The Doomwood Curse”, and “The Word Lord” so great. The damage to the TARDIS caused by Brewster’s jiggery pokery provides suitable stakes, the titular reef is an interesting location, I loved the prissy shithead Vuyoki enough to write paragraphs on her personality for her wiki article. I just wish that Brewster had a proper second story, explaining what he did in the Doctor’s name, so that it’d mean something when he’s called that by the sailors.
  • “A Perfect World”… Not something you wanna try with a companion who’s the definition of “We hardly knew ye.” It’s sweet, at least.

This should’ve been the end of the Artful Dodger in space, but two-and-a-half years later, he was brought back, joining Six and Evelyn. The only good thing about the second arc is that it led to the wonderful Flip becoming a companion. I’ll elaborate in, oh, six months?

2 Likes

Oh no… Brewster’s gone…

Celebrate GIFs | Tenor

Good riddance. One of BF’s only misses on the original companion front. I hate that little git. He is everything that the fandom thinks Adric is with none of Adric’s redeeming qualities. I genuinely considered skipping these weeks for the club because of how much I hate Brewster but decided against it because maybe this time I would see it. I did not see it. I see the concept, I see the idea, I see the performance. Unfortunately, Brewster was a swing and a miss.

Oh the stories here? They’re fine. Time Reef is a funky little sideways story, and A Perfect World is a perfectly fine epilogue that shoos Brewster out of the TARDIS.

3 Likes

Big finish: Want to see the Thomas Brewster era

Fans: no

Big finish: wanna see me do it again

3 Likes