Audio Club: The Spectre of Lanyon Moor

Literally just finished listening to it and there is merely some flim flam about the TARDIS being clever and having detected the psionic forces in play, it puts itself on a different ‘plain of existence’ which doesn’t sound anything like HADS which always seems to put it in a new physical location.

4 Likes

Really enjoyed this and all the twists and turns. The Sixth Doctor, Evelyn and the Brigadier are a great team and it’s a real shame we never got any more stories with the three of them.

6 Likes

I was trying to remember who wrote this and checked to see it was Nicholas Pegg. I don’t think he wrote any more audios, which is a shame as he did a good job on this one, but acted in a lot of them and of course went on to become a Dalek operator alongside his partner (and voice of Philip in Spectre) Barnaby Edwards.

2 Likes

Pegg is also a huge Bowie fan, he wrote the excellent book The Complete David Bowie.

3 Likes

This one is hard to review properly. While I like the cast/performances, and the plot is interesting, ultimately it just feels a bit bloated and long. It definitely feels like the 2+ hours that it is. If it was 20-30 minutes shorter, it would be a lot better. That being said, it very much is a comfort listen, even if it is a little forgettable. It gets a sold 3.5/5 from me.

Here is my spoiler free review.

3 Likes

Sad to say I didn’t vibe with this one. Found the villains painfully generic and annoying, with the main one’s voice grating on me. The folklore aspect was cool, but not enough to hook me. That being said, really loved 6 and the Brig’s interactions, and 6 and Evelyn are a delight as always. Seeing Sixie get told to apologise for his arrogance was a delight.

Wish I enjoyed this the way a lot of folks seem to, but alas.

7 Likes

Well this was the best one yet for me! It just felt like classic Hinchcliffe-era Doctor Who, and had the Brigadier in it as well for a bonus. I loved the way he interacted so naturally with 6 even though it was the first time he’d met this incarnation.

Evelyn was great in this story too - though clearly she & 6 had now been together for some time & had had other adventures since the end of the Marian Conspiracy, which I really wasn’t expecting at all - I had just assumed that it would be a direct continuation. As well as enjoying her relish and sense of fun and adventure, I particularly appreciated her very human reactions to the atrocities she witnessed here. Rather than just brushing them under the carpet, unusually the story took pains to explain how Unit would step in to inform the family & treat the dead with all due respect.

Great to see Susan Jameson (Mrs Wibbsey) here too as a very different housekeeper!

8 Likes

This one sadly disappointed me and is one of the few Big Finish stories I feel would’ve benefited from being a TV story, usually I like the abstractness that audios allow for, but this just disappointed me. 6 and the Brig is really fun to hear, but besides that I don’t have much to say about it.

5 Likes