Audio Club: The Dark Husband

It’s time to listen to and discuss The Dark Husband

Buy it online using the link above.

Even if you listened to it before and just want to discuss it - dive right in! Just please use spoiler tags!

Everyone who participates will get a coveted Audio Club badge! :medal_military:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Select your rating (out of 10):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters

It’s not very good, is it?

Remarkably unfunny and a really boring script, the only thing to like here is that it functions on a base level as a story.

Full review here, if you enjoy, please leave a like:

3 Likes

One of the few MR stories I DNF-ed about 10 mins before the end because I couldn’t bear it anymore. I don’t much remember what actually happens in this anymore but I do remember I hated it…

4 Likes

Yeah, I really didn’t like this one at all… When I did my year-and-a-half-long marathon of 7, Ace and Hex, its was the only story I skipped. It’s also the only Big Finish CD I’ve ever resold on eBay…

4 Likes

Very middle of the road I didn’t find it the most boring thing ever but it was just annoying at times and repeating the same damn thing or plot point 200 times but just a very meh middle of the road story

2 Likes

This isn’t great. The worldbuilding fell flat, the new characters had little impact—I guess I liked the boisterous Ori?—and the many jokes barely made a dent, with Danny Webb’s silly voices only helping so much. (Excuse me, Danny Webb’s and Andy B Newb’s. Lame, Big Finish…) The better BF “living planet” story is “The Brood of Erys”; at least that has a gratifying conversation between Erys and the Doctor.

My favourite part came at the end, when Ori and Irit solve the crisis by marrying. Enemies-to-lovers does wonders for me normally, and here, it’s adorable.

5 Likes

I found the world building in this story interesting. I also listened to it soon after Arrangements of War, and I thought the two stories have intriguing parallels. I didn’t think it was as bad as many say it is.

3 Likes

As someone who didn’t like The Brood of Erys, I would raise you World Apart!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll remember it when I get to that story in however many months. Main Range-wise, I’ve been languishing at “We Are the Daleks” since October…

1 Like

A disturbing-close second to Nekromanteia for my least favourite of the entire Main Range. One of the few times I can recall being able to predict a story’s progression through sarcasm (after all the repetitive and incredibly annoying marriage capering, I made a passing joke to myself about the Doctor marrying the whole planet next… and then that actually happened).

It’s just so witless and irritating and exasperatingly not-funny for me, although quite frankly, I should have predicted that would be the case, as this isn’t my first time encountering writer David Quantick. Back in 2022, he co-wrote a film called Book Of Love, and it was one of the most trite and genuinely aggravating rom-coms I’ve ever had the misfortune of encountering. Like, “sexual harassment is fine when it happens to men” kind of fare. I admittedly don’t consider this to be as bad as that, but it’s in the same ballpark.

2 Likes

Hex is so horribly out of character I’m like 99% sure he was replaced after he got snotted at the start of this and the Doctor and Ace realized it and a much better story occured immediately after this one ended where they got him back. (That being said, I do kind of like the idea of a very laddish companion, provided that’s not their only character trait. I think they’d be a fun foil to one of the more serious Doctors).

3 Likes

Shades of Bigger Luke. I dig it. Let’s call him Macho Hex…

Honestly this one surprised me a lot went from hating it to finding it quite alright

1 Like

Fundamentally it just didn’t work. The comedy doesn’t work for the characters. Hex is completely out of character, and the gag of him being called Hox (which is vulgar in local terms apparently) with it being corrected (at one point en masse by a crowd) gets old fast. There’s also the same exposition being delivered twice, like the writer was trying to pad out the episode length.

Good comedy works to the strengths of the characters. The Veiled Leopard is a better comedy for Ace and Hex, and that’s a heist story with comedic tones. The Magic Mousetrap has a dark comedy aspect to its surrealist tone. The writer only has one other Big Finish credit, but Missy suits dark comedy far better than this TARDIS team.

3 Likes

I thought I’d enjoy this one because David Quantick is very funny on twitter,

But apparently that doesn’t translate to a funny script, which is a shame.

But this was also an “office listen” so I partly put it down to that, but if none of you enjoyed it either…

2 Likes

Uhhhh dreadful :sob: I was bored out of my mind the whole time. I skipped this way back when I was doing my Hex listen-a-long and I’m glad I did…

2 Likes