Audio Club: Singularity

It’s time to listen to and discuss Singularity

Buy it online using the link above.

Even if you listened to it before and just want to discuss it - dive right in! Just please use spoiler tags!

Everyone who participates will get a coveted Audio Club badge! :medal_military:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Select your rating (out of 10):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
2 Likes

Another quite boring Fifth Doctor audio that I just didn’t vibe with…

Singularity wants to be a hard-hitting, emotionally complex sci-fi thriller—but instead becomes a confused, overstuffed, and emotionally distant story. While it contains a few compelling ideas (especially the Part Four twist involving the future of humanity and the tortured TARDIS), it ultimately falters under the weight of its own exposition and noise. Davison and Strickson do their best, but with forgettable supporting characters, murky antagonists, and an underwhelming sense of place, this chilly tale never really heats up. A misfire, albeit an ambitious one.

Here’s my non-spoilery review for those of you who fancy a read. Thanks!

5 Likes

It’s slick, it’s bombastic, it’s cinematic and it’s also really quite dull.

Fantastic episode for Turlough but outside of him, nothing stands out and even the best bits are brought down by a rough cast.

Full review here, if you enjoy, please leave a like

4 Likes

I’d be lying if I said I remembered one single thing about this story other that ‘it’s a Turlough story’. And I love Turlough. But clearly I did not love this

5 Likes

Yeah this story has also completely escaped my mind. I gave it three stars i guess

3 Likes

Props for hiring actual Russian actors :D

5 Likes

I like the cover, but i have not yet listened to this story

4 Likes

I thought this was fun. Some interesting ideas, some faulty execution. The part of this that I really enjoyed was it was the rare all-male TARDIS team, which I think generally can make some really interesting dynamics, as it does here, and I’d like to see it happen a little more often.

6 Likes

I was surprised to find they were actual Russian actors because I thought the accents were overdone and obviously fake!

The story didn’t make a huge impact on me, there were bits that I liked but it didn’t really come together into a coherent whole, less than the sum of its parts in my opinion.

I do quite like Turlough in the audios though, it’s a shame he didn’t see to do very many of them?

5 Likes

The setting is appreciated because not only is it not the UK, but it’s also a point in the near future (which is conveyed through casual interaction with technology like the house system at the start of the story, which could pretty much be Alexa).

For Turlough on a character level, this is very much the point where he’s realising about himself what will culminate in his character arc within Planet of Fire, that for all his talk of being a coward he will do the right thing. Then there’s the more obvious call forward to Planet of Fire right at the end, when Turlough’s suggestion for a next destination is “somewhere warm” (I believe the novel Imperial Moon does the same thing).

5 Likes

I was rather just bored by this sadly

3 Likes

Five and Turlough are a great pairing underserved by this boring script[1]—as is the setting, cold, snowy Russia.


  1. take this with a grain of salt, I was working while listening ↩︎

2 Likes