Audio Club: No Man's Land

It’s time to listen to and discuss No Man’s Land

Buy it online using the link above.

Even if you listened to it before and just want to discuss it - dive right in! Just please use spoiler tags!

Everyone who participates will get a coveted Audio Club badge! :medal_military:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Select your rating (out of 10):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
1 Like

Of the ‘Hex as war medic’ stories (a trope that I gradually got very tired of from just how often it showed up during my Seventh listen-through), this is the one that I think worked best through that lens. And no, I’m not just saying that because of what the guy went through here (although for a more rustic turn from The Forge, it is quite effective… and terrifying).

5 Likes

The setting is excellent and Day builds a good atmosphere but there’s something about No Man’s Land I find markedly unengaging.

A decent mystery wrapped up in a slow and convoluted script that does very little to actually engage the audience.

Full review here, if you enjoy, please leave a like

5 Likes

Absolutely fantastic pure historical.

Dark, gritty, hopeless, and utterly terrifying.

The great characterization of our trio and side characters together with the atmosphere of desolation is amplified by the magnificent anachronistic soundtrack that turns the feeling of unease up to eleven (a similar trick was done in the recent “All Quiet on the Western Front” film adaptation).

One of, if not THE most favourite pure historical of mine

5 Likes

It was at about this point that I was sick to death of Seven Ace Hex war stories :skull: I may have even dnf-ed this one, I don’t remember but I do remember I found it utterly utterly tedious to listen to and did not enjoy it one bit

4 Likes

A bit of a forgotten gem as far as I’m concerned. I last listened to it when I was working through a lot of World War One stories (as part of my long-running marathon) and so it has an interesing impact in that context.

And it’s also a secret Forge audio…

6 Likes

A pretty solid 8/10 from me - I liked the first world war setting and the mostly historical setting - but perhaps it’s just because I like the 7/Ace/Hex team and thought they worked well together here….

4 Likes

Really great story. A really interesting guest cast combined with the always welcome TARDIS team of 7/Ace/Hex. World War I is one of those settings that we don’t get to visit too often with Doctor Who in favor of the larger iconography of WWII and I’m kind of glad we don’t because almost every single time, it’s a very dark and harrowing story. A really strong historical. I don’t know that I’d exactly call it a pure historical but it’s interesting all the same and I enjoy seeing the mystery unfolding.

Stop traumatizing Hex please.

7 Likes

Currently listening to this and coming here to say that I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack here. I rarely even notice music in Big Finish but I really dig all of these electronic sounds in this one

2 Likes

So, BF really liked putting Hex into wartime settings, eh?

Interesting one, this. Has a strong atmosphere and strong ideas but not much of a proper story. And one of those late-game twists that arrive too late to have a proper impact.

No Man’s Land traps the Seventh Doctor, Ace, and Hex in a haunted hospital where the real enemy isn’t the Germans, but humanity’s own capacity for hate. It’s a slow-burning, psychological wartime thriller about moral decay and manipulation, bolstered by an eerie atmosphere and a chillingly human villain. Though the pacing sometimes falters and the Forge reveal comes too late to truly land, it’s still an intriguing exploration of what happens when science, war, and madness share a room.

Here’s my spoilery review for those who fancy a read. Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m really into stories where my blorbos are tortured, and I feel like this story delivered for Hex. Also enjoy the idea of there being a room where soldiers are brainwashed to hate—these kinds of stories are honestly more interesting than most stories with alien villains. Other than that, not much else to say. A solid entry in the Forge arc.

3 Likes

Honestly this is where the arc starts coming into play more and more it’s like a web being spun it’s so good

2 Likes