Audio Club Extra: UNIT Extinction - Vanguard

It’s time to listen to and discuss UNIT: Extinction - Vanguard

Buy it online using the link above, or listen for free - you’ll find links where to listen free on the story page!

Once you’ve listened, talk about it below! Even if you listened to it before and just want to discuss it - dive right in! Just please use spoiler tags where appropriate.

(Apologies this thread is a couple of days late! Christmas and New Year messed with my sense of time!)

Everyone who participates will get a coveted Audio Club badge! :medal_military:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Select your rating (out of 10):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
4 Likes

Just finished listening to it and this was such a fun and energetic start to this range! At first, I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the characters but by the end it was all pretty simple to follow. The plot was a bit basic but thats to be expected from the first story of a massive range like this. Obviously it has the huge task of dropping us into this new UNIT team that the audience is almost completely unfamiliar with. Kate and Osgood are obviously the two character here the audience is familiar with and they were both great. Kate had more of a presence in this specific story but Osgood was still really good. The new characters seem pretty fun too. I like Josh a lot and his butting of heads with Colonel Shindi was fun. Jacqui is a character I’m already familiar with due to the Lady Christina range but she was so great in this story. I liked seeing her in a time before she’s familiar with UNIT and her determinedness to figure out whats going on was really compelling. On the story side,

I love the Autons so having a full boxset of UNIT vs the Autons is so great and makes me think of the 2 UNIT Auton stories in the Pertwee era. Of course, there were many references to that era such as the callsigns being Trap and Greyhound which was just so cool. Also the obvious mentions of the Brigadier are another references and I think they work well to show how Kate is trying hard to make a name for herself and not solely be seen as his daughter.

I’m really excited to continue this range and these characters!
4/5

4 Likes

An excellent opening episode to the boxset. It has a very Spearhead from Space feel to it, as opposed to a Terror of the Autons feel. Ah, ten years ago, when 3D printing was the big new thing. We of course have Kate and Osgood, who we already know. But I think think the new team is introduced rather with Colonel Shindi and Captain Carter getting their introductions here. I do enjoy Jacqui McGee, though I feel like Devlin sounded a bit like Mark Gatiss. It’s a good start and I’m looking forward to the next installment.

2 Likes

I’ve really struggled with the UNIT audios, personally. This one is a 6/10 for me, which isn’t too off from my usual score for this range, sadly. There’s something dreary and off about these audios and I wish they captured more of the Moffat-era UNIT I think Kate and Osgood were better suited for. I’m glad other people got into it, though.

4 Likes

It’s been several years since I listened to any KateOsgood UNIT stories but I do remember this first set being like, fine. It’s certainly neither the best nor worst of the releases in this range, but yeah. This range to me is generally a solid 6or7/10 - usually entertaining but rarely astonishing

3 Likes