Didn’t know there’s an Animanga thread!
Anyway, I LOVE BERSERK (Kentaro Miura)!
Didn’t know there’s an Animanga thread!
Anyway, I LOVE BERSERK (Kentaro Miura)!
Far, far too many and mostly manga, but here are some of my favorites:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind — It tells the story of Nausicaä, a princess of a small kingdom on a post-apocalyptic Earth with a toxic ecosystem, who becomes involved in a war between kingdoms while an environmental disaster threatens humankind.
The most beautiful manga I’ve read and anime I’ve watched. Strongly anti-war and pro-environmental.
Crying Freeman — It follows Yō Hinomura, a Japanese potter, hypnotized and trained by the Chinese mafia (called the “108 Dragons”) to serve as its assassin and covered in a vast and complex dragon tattoo. A quiet but complicated killer, Freeman reflexively sheds tears after every killing as a sign of regret.
Quite violent, with nudity and sexual situations.
Sanctuary — Two childhood friends, Akira Hojo and Chiaki Asami, ruthlessly struggle to set a new paradigm of living in Japan. They take radically different paths (playing rock-paper-scissors to decide their roles): Akira chooses the dark path and joins a yakuza gang, while Chiaki strives to become the youngest member of the Japanese Diet. As survivors of the Cambodian killing fields, the two characters develop an unmatched aggression and survival instincts, helping them to achieve their common ultimate goal: making Japan their own sanctuary.
Quite violent, with nudity and sexual situations.
Vinland Saga — The story is a dramatization of the story of Thorfinn Karlsefni and his expedition to find Vinland, with the majority of the story covering his fictional counterpart’s transition from a bloodthirsty, revenge-filled teenager into a pacifistic young man; juxtaposed against this is the rise to power of King Canute, the journey of his own counterpart directly contrasting with that of Thorfinn’s.
Quite violent
Mai, the Psychic Girl — The story follows Mai Kuju, a 14-year-old girl with powerful psychic abilities. She is being pursued by the Wisdom Alliance, an organization which secretly strives to control the world. The alliance already controls four other powerful psychic children, and it has hired the Kaieda Intelligence Agency to capture Mai.
Inuyasha — Kagome Higurashi, a fifteen-year-old middle school girl from modern-day Tokyo is transported to the Sengoku period after falling into a well in her family shrine, where she meets the half-dog demon, half-human Inuyasha. After the sacred Shikon Jewel re-emerges from deep inside Kagome’s body, she inadvertently shatters it into dozens of fragments that scatter across Japan. Inuyasha and Kagome set out to recover the Jewel’s fragments, and through their quest, they are joined by the lecherous monk Miroku, the demon slayer Sango, and the fox demon Shippō. Together, they journey to restore the Shikon Jewel before it falls into the hands of the evil half-demon Naraku.
Fire Tripper — Suzuko is a normal Japanese school girl from modern times, but has a strange memory of being trapped in a burning house when she was little. One day, as she is walking home Shūhei, her neighbour’s child, a huge gas explosion occurs. When Suzuko wakes up, she finds herself in a post-battlefield, in civil war era Japan, with dead bodies all around her.
And pseudo-manga Usagi Yojimbo — Set primarily at the beginning of the Edo period of Japanese history and featureing anthropomorphic animals. The main character is a rabbit rōnin, Miyamoto Usagi, who wanders the land on a musha shugyō (warrior’s pilgrimage), occasionally selling his services as a bodyguard.
THERES A MANGA THREAD!!!???
I love manga (especially shonen) to the point where I have a book case only for it:
I also read about 8 weekly Sunday Shonen Jump series on the app, plus a couple weekday ones too.
If it’s not obvious from the picture, One Piece is my favourite! (It’s actually my favourite long running series of anything, sorry DW)
Other favourite manga are Chainsaw Man, Akane-Banashi[1] (which I can’t recommend enough and is getting an anime next year!), Frieren, and Witch Hat Atelier.
Chainsaw Man’s mangaka also did a oneshot called Look Back which might be my favourite story ever. It was adapted into a short animated movie which is also fantastic.
Anime wise my top 4 are: Mob Psycho 100, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
And like JayPea, Your Name is one of my favourite movies ever!
a series about Rakugo, a Japanese performing artform where one person tells a story with minimal props ↩︎
Gotta love Eva!
He also occasionally shows up in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, both the show (the ‘87, ‘03 and ‘12 versions iirc) and the comics
I really, REALLY LOVE the BERSERK manga.
So depressing yet hopeful, and it’s better when it’s conveyed though Miura’s gorgeous art. I mean, look at this!
Currently catching up with Berserk, I’m now at volume 41.
gotta rep my faves that havent been mentioned here yet: Dorohedoro, Mushishi, and (greatest of all time) JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
i love shonen manga, and Dragon Ball Z has been a significant influence on my art despite not growing up with it
This is a good one.
Watched through Godzilla: Singular Point on a whim and it was fine, some fun stuff, but I wouldn’t especially reccomend it
Guys, I started watching Naoki Urasawa’s Monster… It’s so ■■■■■■■ good, guys.
Best anime of all time.
Colin would have made a great Johan if they ever did a live action version of the anime[1]
a live action was actually slated years ago, but fell through ↩︎
I’ve been spending my day off, mostly, watching a teen-hood favourite. El-Hazard. Not the most original, or mind-blowing, but a solid watch anyway.
It’s been a long time since I even thought about El-Hazard.
Nor do I remember anything about it, other than it was originally an OVA.
7 episode OVA, with a 4 episode “season 2”. This was followed by a 13 episode sequel TV show.
There was also a 26 episode TV remake of the original OVA, but it was “kidified” called The Wanderers. It came out before the original 7 episode OVA finished.
Yeah, I mostly remember the original OVA from when I was a teen. Not sure if I saw season 2. Heard there was a tv remake, but I didn’t watch it.
(Similarly, I watched the original “All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku”, but not “All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH!”. OTOH, I watched both the Tenchi Muyo OVA’s and the Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki tv series…)
But did you watch Tenchi in Tokyo?