Amaze Amaze Amaze! - A Project Hail Mary Thread

A lot of people in the movie time thread have been talking about Project Hail Mary, so I thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss both the movie and the book! I know the movie came out not too long ago, but since it’s a dedicated thread I don’t think people need to blur out spoilers. So, general spoiler warning, if you haven’t seen/read it yet, go check it out!

Anyway, I wish Ryland Grace was my science teacher. How are other people feeling?

14 Likes


Credit to electropylon on tumblr

9 Likes

Great idea for a thread :-1:

“Fist my bump”

“No, that’s not it.”

I had so so much fun with this film.

8 Likes

P:HM is one of my all time favourite books. I love the early section of the story, where we and Grace have absolutely no idea what is going on or who he is, and it’s only gradually revealed what’s going on. It’s so effective at getting you to sympathise with Grace, and one of my problems with the film is I feel it skips out on that slow discovery process

8 Likes

There are so, so many thing I loved about the film. But as someone who has worked with kids, one of my favorite moments is Grace going “Rocky, my hand is in the air” when he’s trying to get Rocky to listen to him. And he doesn’t even say it at first, he just does it, because in his classroom that means “it’s time to be silent.” Like we used to do that at the camp where I worked, if someone got up in front of a crowd (usually a counselor or leadership member) and put their hand up, that was a visual cue for the kids that they needed to be quiet so the person didn’t have to yell. He doesn’t completely know who he is, but being a teacher is so ingrained into him that he’s using teacher tactics on a space alien. It made me smile.

9 Likes

I want to read the book so bad. I’m trying to get it through my local library system, but I have a feeling it’s going to take a while.

7 Likes

I loved when Rocky stormed into the ship in his little hall, and was basically like “we can be roommates! I could live with you!”

Also, being from Liverpool, I really appreciated both the Scouse Rocky alternate voice and the Beatles reference in the end!

7 Likes

I saw this movie on Tuesday, and enjoyed it.

5 Likes

I didn’t enjoy the film as much as others, but damn, does it have heart and soul, especially during the Tau Ceti sequence. There, at least, Lord and Miller didn’t quit.

6 Likes

5 Likes

I love the book, as with all of Andy Weir’s books. I’ve not seen the film yet, but I will when it comes out of Blu-ray.

7 Likes

Just finished the book and it was amazing. Want to watch the film now just need to find the time.

5 Likes

Someone made a LEGO version of Rocky!

5 Likes

When I submit my honors thesis/graduate I’m buying myself the Project Hail Mary LEGO set as a “congrats on getting through it” treat.

7 Likes

Omg two of my favorite things at once

9 Likes

ROCKY: Why you have mountain inside blue box police, question? Even with “dimensional transcendence” space for this, question?

DOCTOR: You just saw a star stuck going supernova, and this is what caught your interest? Companions these days…

7 Likes

I love the book so much! I think I’ve read it 6 times at this point. I enjoyed the movie too but I was a little underwhelmed with it. The whole thing felt kind of rushed, and I was disappointed that all the cool science got glossed over. But I’ll watch it again when it’s out of theaters and see if I enjoy it more. I tend to need two watches to fully form an opinion on a movie.

8 Likes

Oh this movie was amazing, I cried a couple of times and now I’m debating getting the lego..

6 Likes

7 Likes

Rocky’s “Amaze, Amaze, Amaze” catchphrase was mentioned in NASA communications with the Artemis II crew!

6 Likes