Alfie Shaw on 11DC

Some intresting details about the 11DC from Big Finish Day said by Alfie Shaw


https://www.reddit.com/r/BigFinishProductions/s/s4fMomxNkt

18 Likes

I am so glad the BBC blocked the Valarie Master idea! I’m sure Shaw would have written it amazingly and Ingar would have played it amazingly, but what we got was so much better than that could have ever been

13 Likes

Someone on the TG Discord said this was made up so not sure :sob:

11 Likes

Hello,

Sorry to bother you all. Feel a bit bad that the person on Reddit is being accused of making it up. Just wanted to pop in say this is all essentially true, but I think I garbled something in the telling on the day.

The series was originally going to be 12 episodes, but during the course of production we were given the go-ahead to do the Christmas ep bringing it up to 13. During the recording of Vol 5 was when Jacob was considering doing more. Me being me, I pulled together loose plans for two more sets (Broken Hearts and Dying Days). When we had the chat with Jacob, he – quite rightly – said he didn’t want anything coming out post Victory of the Doctor that was set beforehand. So, we cut it down in that meeting to just the one episode that we could get out before Vol 5 released.

The two other potential sets only existed in my head for about two weeks. Lisa was the only writer ever attached to them and we only had a nominal idea for something in Dying Days (a Doctor/Hayden centric ep, essentially making a Medruth trilogy of a society’s rise/at its peak/end).

Broken Hearts would have gone in the slot the story came out in. Dying Days would have all been set between All’s Fair and Sins of the Flesh. But like I said, these were really loose ideas. There’s not five Lost Stories of 11 and Valarie or anything like that.

But yes, everything is pretty much bang on the money. Sorry I can’t go into further detail. I’m trying to give as much as insight as I can, as people seem interested and I loved all the BTS insights on the extras as a listener, while balancing that against the realities of working in a licensed property.

What I can say (and basically agree with the person a couple of posts up) is that we ended up with the very best version of the series. The other plans just wouldn’t have been as good.

I’m delighted that a lot of you seemed to really enjoy the run and hope you enjoy what we’ve got coming next just as much.

And sorry for the essay :rofl:

42 Likes

Welcome to the forum @AlfieShaw - and not to be rude but are you actually the real Alfie Shaw? Bona fide?

15 Likes

Wow! Thank you for the reply aha, love your work if that is you indeed!!

14 Likes

Yeah, it’s me. I was sort of umming and awwing (or however you spell that…) about commenting, but I did feel bad that someone was shooting the messenger.

21 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind of you.

16 Likes

Slightly starstruck to see you here! I adore your work—I hope you won’t mind me saying that Sins of the Flesh made me sob. I think you did a stellar job with the 11DCs!

And fascinating insights as well!

17 Likes

Hi @AlfieShaw, welcome! Quite sincerely the Eleven/Valarie series is one of my all-time favourite ā€˜seasons’ of Doctor Who!

You also once sent me a very kind email years ago which I am very grateful for!

If you stick around, look forward to reading your posts and if you only popped in to clarify the above then glad to have been able to let you know how great the 11DCs are!

20 Likes

Don’t mind at all! Really pleased you enjoyed it and sorry/not sorry for making you cry. We were aiming for that a bit…

19 Likes

Oh, wow! It’s an honour to to see you here, @AlfieShaw! The 11/Valarie run has loads of fans here, and as a major 11th Doctor fan myself, I can say that it’s possibly the strongest run of stories ever made for Eleven. Thank you for giving us fans such amazing stories, and keep being awesome!

Geronimo!

13 Likes

ItS THE ALFIE SHAW 11/Valerie is the modern who big finish best pairing

Heres to whatever you write in the future

11 Likes

Aww thank you. Really glad it connected with you. The Moffat era is really special to me, so getting to make a series in that era was a dream come true. And utterly terrifying. The fact people even remotely enjoyed it was lovely, but the fact people love it so much is wonderful.

I’ve only popped in, but I have done a quick scan and a) you all seem utterly delightful and b) it’s so heartwarming to see the reaction to the run. We really chucked everything and the kitchen sink at it.

32 Likes

Really amazing to hear, especially considering the very high bar of Eleven stories on the telly!

16 Likes

Glad you love them as much as we do!

No pressure on the next pairing of course :rofl:

15 Likes

There’s not much I can say about the quality of the 11DCs that hasn’t already been said, but I’d like to take this chance to thank you, as 7V managed to successfully convince my mother (who was never particularly into Big Finish, but loved 11 to the point that my brother is named Rory) to listen to audios with me, and it’s wonderful that we’re able to spend time together in that way. So sincerely, thank you for this series.

13 Likes

Wow, I did not expect to see you on here today.

I’m a huge fan of the 11DCs myself so I thought I’d say welcome to forum whilst I had the chance.

Very excited for whatever you do next!l

12 Likes

Thank you for popping in!

I wanted to echo what others have said, 11V is probably my favourite Big Finish series.

I’m a big fan, thanks for all your work!

18 Likes

He’s lucky she didn’t call him Stormaggedon.

That’s incredible to hear. It’s so cool that you’ve able to do that together.

I hope she didn’t take the plot of the Inheritance to heart. When my mum first heard it she texted me going ā€œSo I guess Dad’s your favourite.ā€ Still not sure she’s entirely forgiven me…

20 Likes