Why Do Some Fans Want An Explanation For Mrs Flood Breaking The Fourth Wall?

I think the reason I would like an explanation is that it’s unusual. It’s not something Doctor Who has really done before, not on this scale. It’s not like Deadpool where the fourth-wall breaks are baked in from the start (I haven’t seen She-Hulk so can’t comment on that). Sure, if this season is your introduction to the show then it works fine, but as a long-time viewer it’s a bit of an odd choice.

7 Likes

I suppose that is weird but I just put that down to RTD’s inability to shut the ■■■■ up sometimes. His enthusiasm gets the better of him far too often.

7 Likes

But as I say, whilst it might be unusual for Doctor Who (although, as I say not unprecedented) it’s far from uncommon in TV and film to the point where most of the audience will have come across it somewhere (such as the massively successful Fleabag) and will just absorb it into their understanding of what Doctor Who is doing.

Doctor Who has always borrowed from the rest of genre TV, drama and literature and this is just another example of that, really.

Sometimes the answer to ‘why is that happening’ is simply ‘because it is’.

7 Likes

I suppose, but I feel like if so many people are confused by it then something went wrong. Whether it’s shoddy writing or a poor execution or not being built up enough or just coming so late into such a long-running show and suddenly becoming a reoccurring thing. I wouldn’t have an issue with Mrs. Flood talking to the camera at the end of Church on Ruby Road, or the Doctor winking at the camera at the end of Devil’s Chord, or him commenting on the music being non-diegetic in the same episode if it was just one one those things. One I can brush off as a fun little thing, four or more and it’s a theme, and themes have a purpose. I don’t need it explained, but I would very much like for it to pay off.

9 Likes

But are ‘so many people’ confused or is it just the usual vocal online minority who shout and stomp because they want something a certain way? Has it bothered the ‘general audience’. I doubt it.

But things ‘coming in late’ to a long-running show is par for the course really and in a show like Doctor Who, which has redefined itself time and time again, even more so. The language of television is markedly different now to what is was in the 60s, 70s or 80s and each of those eras is drawing on an audience versed in different viewing experiences to those from the era before. Television changes and Doctor Who changes alongside it - and sometimes ahead of it. A little bit of fourth wall breaking is only really bothering people who aren’t being as quick to adapt.

Absolutely, I’d like a pay off but, as I say, there was a pay off to Ruby’s mum’s identity and that has been divisive to say the least. The other problem is people lead themselves up the garden path (or in some cases are lead there by the writer which I agree was a problem with RTD’s choices around the hooded cloak and the finger pointing) and that just ends in disappointment because the answer isn’t the one they wanted.

There are people who are going to be convinced they’re right about her being connected to Clara and/or Romana because of the costume choices. They’ll be annoyed if they’re wrong because some of them will be adamant it’s the only logical explanation.

9 Likes

This is the same guy who said Susan Twist was in so many episodes because they ran out of actors. Do we really think he’s being serious here?

I don’t necessarily need an explanation but when there’s a character who’s only shown up a couple times and fourth-wall-breaks are, like, 50% of what we know about her character, it seems like perhaps that’s going to be plot-relevant down the line. We’ll see, though.

14 Likes

Each to their own. I thought it was hilarious personally and surprisingly quite blunt towards Marvel Studios for a show made by them.

I wouldn’t really call that an explanation personally, nor do I think that there needs to be one.

I think to me, Doctor Who is a show full of things that its not done before.

It hadn’t stranded the Doctor on Earth for an extended period before Spearhead From Space. It hadn’t featured overarching courtroom scenes before Trial Of A Time Lord.

Even the 2005 revival introduced the notion of a series finale, which isn’t something the classic series had really done bar technically the Key To Time season, and perhaps Trial Of A Time Lord.

8 Likes

I believe that the last two episodes of Keys of Marinus feature courtroom scenes. The War Games ends with a courtroom scene. Maybe not to the extent of Season 23, but it had been done before.

4 Likes

I’d say they were a bit different though, as in they weren’t the bulk of the entire series but merely conclusions to random serials, and they didn’t have entire new adventures cut in-between the trial scenes either.

6 Likes

my take on this is that the fourth-wall breaks seem to be particularly in episodes where some kind of big foreshadowing is occurring. in The Devil’s Chord we get Maestro talking about the One Who Waits and the deepening of the mystery behind Ruby with carol of the bells playing; the ‘non-diagetic music’ thing may just be a bit of silliness here but the way it’s positioned right next to the big season-arc mysteries makes it feel a lot more suspect.
The way Flood’s fourth-wall breaks are presented i think are pretty clearly deliberately meant to be mysterious. the first time it comes up she’s a character we don’t know anything about, but knows about Tardises, so she’s obviously a big deal. her Church on Ruby Road 4th wall moment is also the first time we get a 4th-wall break in the whole season, and the first time it’s really happened in Nu Who ever (as far as i can remember) so we’re setting a new precedent for how this show works, which raises a lot of questions.
It doesn’t work the same way that fourth-wall breaks work in shows like Fleabag, where that kind of ‘character talking to the camera’ is a stylistic way to show a character’s internal monologue. it’s also not something you would typically do with a character that isn’t our POV character at that point, or else things start getting strange.
The fact that the fourth-wall breaks have also been pretty concentrated between Maestro’s episode (where the rules of the world are already getting bent Toymaker-style) and our mystery-woman-who-knows-too-much Mrs. Flood is a pretty big indicator that this is a meaningful choice.
So no, I don’t believe RTD saying it’s not going to be explained lol. at the very least I think it will be justified stylistically in a way other than “we’re just doing this for fun” which is a pretty nonsense answer for something that sticks out this much. at the very least, it’s going to be that Mrs. Flood is the POV character in some episode and does more asides to the camera.
This isn’t me demanding everything be explained either, I think this is just how competent, sensible, coherent storytelling works, and if it actually is a red herring it would be absolutely bizarre, and I would go so far as to call it a misstep. which, honestly, after that season finale, I’m not sure I’d be that surprised.

9 Likes

Which kind of supports the fourth wall breaking thing because that’s been done a couple of time before but maybe not to the extent of the latest series.

5 Likes

I don’t know, I still feel as though it’s just a creative choice. I don’t think RTD is intentionally trying to hint that there’s a mystery behind the fourth wall breaking, so I don’t think it would make it a red herring if there’s no explanation.

8 Likes

You could include The Sins of Captain John? Unless it’s Doctor Who only then mb.

I’m literally the audience John was referring to about the person who owns cats and complains online about the accuracy of Torchwood lore

8 Likes

RTD’s style of storytelling tends to be pretty standard and even a little corny (intentionally) so doing something that bends normal TV storytelling style this much for nothing would be really strange. also, i don’t think this is the first time the writers have said something deliberately misleading about what’s going on this season, if i remember correctly.

9 Likes

This video is a little outdated (as it was recorded before the latest Series) but it catalogues all the fourth wall breaks from the Doctor.

6 Likes

Doctor Who boss says Mrs Flood breaking fourth wall "might never be explained.

Because there isn’t one, just lazy writing. Imagine if in season 5 when there was a crack in the wall a character turned to camera & said, “haven’t you ever seen a crack in the wall before?” or "The crack in the wall? Well it’s gonna mean a lot of trouble for Doctor Who!"

10 Likes

There’s a word in that quote which is very important.

‘might’

9 Likes

Rule number 1: RTD lies.

8 Likes

And RTD^2 lies twice as much…

10 Likes