Whodle (23/05/2024)

Got it in 3. The location in the third image gave it away

2 Likes

A dedicated category like the forum games one seems a good idea.

3 Likes

While we’re talking about changing up the Whodle threads, can I suggest that if we do keep doing daily threads we move to the international standard YYYY-MM-DD date format instead of your terrible British way

6 Likes

I agree YYYY-MM-DD is the superior format.

But it’s the American format which is terrible, not the British :joy:

7 Likes

Putting the day before the month means the first piece of information that you’re given is basically meaningless until you get to the second one. It’s like if you were to give someone the time of day in SS:MM:HH. YYYY-MM-DD is best because it’s broad to specific, but MM-DD-YYYY makes sense in contexts where the year is not particularly important

1 Like

But putting the day before the month, before the year means everything is in logical order from smallest measurement of time to biggest.

It’s like giving your address as:

City
Road
State

4 Likes

Also I hard disagree with this because if someone tells me that the next Doctor Who is released on the 25th then the month is already implied as this month

5 Likes

But let’s be honest, we both like the systems we have because we were brought up with them. There’s no need to argue for them, it’s the system that’s wrong lol

5 Likes

Following on from Shauny using addresses as examples, you write “221B Baker Street, London”, not “Baker Street 221B, London”, even when the city isn’t important, and even though ‘221B’ on its own is meaningless without the street

5 Likes

But yeah, this, there’s advantages to both, but we’re hardwired to seeing the advantages of the system we’re used to

1 Like

Sure, if someone just says something is happening on “the 25th.” But if you see that the next Doctor Who episode is on 25/05/2024, you have no context for the 25 until you see the 05. And granted, that’s not really at all a significant mental hurdle, but it is front-loading information that needs context given later

1 Like

There are advantages to both.

I just wish we all used the same system (and it should be ours, as we came first lol)

If I see a date like 02/04/2015 I can’t tell if that’s February or April because it may be American.

5 Likes

Which is one part of why YYYY-MM-DD is strictly superior, which we at least agree on that

3 Likes

Didn’t get it. Knew from the aspect ratio what era this was, but that doesn’t really help me. I’ll eventually get around to watching Thirteen properly.

2 Likes

Keep the system we have now. It’s easier to have a conversation about the Whoodle of the day.

3 Likes

It will be the same but in a new category

I’ll sort that out maybe tomorrow

6 Likes

Got it on the third one

2 Likes

Took me 4 after a few near misses.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Whodle (24/05/2024)