What Are You Currently Watching?

Here is mine:

Not as harsh as yours, but gets a similar point across.

2 Likes

I finished off series 2 yesterday :tada:

And I’ve seen the first three episodes of Carnival of Monsters today - I think this is my favourite Robert Holmes penned story of all time.
So imaginative and witty, just delightful through and through :+1:

6 Likes

Finished The Highlanders on Friday so will be sitting down with my eldest at some point to watch The Underwater Menace - existing episodes and animations galore!

4 Likes

I’ve moved onto The Myth Makers. Now getting into the expansive missing serials. This is going to drag.

Just started Battlestar Galactica for the first time. Finished the pilot (which was 3 hours long!) and the first episode of season 1. Liking it so far!

3 Likes

I love Battlestar Galactica. One of my favourite series. Shocking to think that it is over 20 years since the Minseries was broadcast.

2 Likes

Now onto The Daleks’ Master Plan. I always remember this one being a slog to get through.

1 Like

Did you enjoy The Myth Makers? It doesn’t give Vicki the greatest exit but being her choice is at least a step up from Susan. I find the story entertaining and I wish we could see Vicki hugging the TARDIS the way she supposedly does in part 4.

1 Like

I enjoyed it a lot. My partner didn’t. They aren’t a big fan of reconstructions but are watching them for completion’s sake.

This one worked well. Not groundbreaking, but the plot kept moving forward and there wasn’t much that felt like padding. It was a solid 3.5.

I agree about Vicki not having a great exit, but it was earned from the preceding episodes. Sad to see her go. Her, Barbara, Sarah Jane and Ace are my favourites in classic Who.

3 Likes

The thing I love about Vicki leaving is the subversion of expectations.
I didn’t know she was leaving when I first saw it. Troilus, Cressida and Diomedes have a love-triangle situation in the Shakespeare play, with Cressida ending up with Diomedes and Troilus seeing it as a betrayal. With Steven being called Diomedes in that story I would expect her to fly off in the TARDIS with Troilus left behind feeling betrayed, instead we get a more wholesome romantic resolution in the end.

Though Vicki leaving is sad in itself, she had such a fabulous relationship with the Doctor from the very beginning.

5 Likes

Definitely! She’s easily one of my favourite companions if not my absolute favourite! I really wish the team of the Doctor, Vicki and Steven lasted longer. Season 3 ends up being a bit of a revolving door for companions.

Katarina and Dodo both deserved much better, but they didn’t know what they were doing with the former and gave up near immediately (for reasons that’d have Jamie considered unfit to be a companion, imagine!) and the latter was lost to the incoming producer not even wanting to bother with her.

With the hindsight of how things turned out, I really think Vicki staying around instead would’ve probably just worked better, and brought a stability. Though it’s hard to imagine her in The Daleks’ Master Plan, or a world without the monologue at the end of The Massacre. Maybe Vicki would’ve stormed out with Steven?

3 Likes

Oh what could have been :slightly_smiling_face:

But Vicki should not have to go through the horrors of TDMP, she was just too pure a soul to go through that. Oh god imagine if it was her in the Airlock :grimacing:

Let’s be happy for what we got with her :blush:

vicki 2

8 Likes

Watched Day One, now watching The Sea Devils as a pallette cleanser.

3 Likes

Loved The Daleks’ Master Plan. We’re about halfway through The Massacre. This is a bit boring.

1 Like

Did you just go through The Daleks’ Master Plan in less than 24 hours?!?? :flushed::open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah. We watched 6 last night and 6 this morning. Other than The Feast of Steven, the episodes actually clipped along at a nice place. It was far better than I remembered.

4 Likes

Yeah it is a really good story. Kevin Stoney is just fantastic in his performance as Mavic Chen. And Bret Vyon and Sara Kingdom are such great characters.
The Monk-y business at the end drags on a bit without pulling the narrative forward much but other than that it is a great story :+1:

2 Likes

While The Monk doesn’t move the plot forward, I think compared to other stories it can get away with it because he is such a fun character.

And yes, this serial is full of great characters. Sara has become a new favourite. Can’t wait to listen to her BF stories.

5 Likes

Classic Who: The War Machines (skipping some eps, watched time meddler before)
Modern Who: Closing time (Have seen everything til this)
New Who: Have seen all the specials (and they suck ass, so i hope s1 is not bad)

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Banneman - good to have you here. Do pop into the Introductions are to tell us more about yourself.