TV Club: The Aztecs

I do realise that, yeah! And that is exactly according to my glorious, mad, universe-shattering plan to drive everyone insane with the Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon!

NOTHING IN THE WORLD CAN STOP ME NOW!!

5 Likes

To quote The Mutants Episode 6:

DOCTOR: It’s all right, Investigator. He’s quite mad.

6 Likes

A deep dive into The Aztecs:

2 Likes

Happy The Aztecs Days! 60th birthday of The Aztecs, episode one broadcast on this day in 1964.

So this is also the 60th anniversary year of Doctor Who getting engaged.

7 Likes

Do you know what, I might just watch the first episode today as I love this story so much!

6 Likes

Came across this whilst looking for Ian Chesterton videos :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Well I came to this one with such high expectations that I was almost bound to be a bit disappointed. After a very abrupt start, I felt the first couple of episodes dragged a bit, but it picked up for the last two & I really enjoyed those. The best part had to be the Doctor’s expression when he realised he had inadvertently got engaged, and also the scene in the clip above when he told Ian.

The story did illustrate an important lesson about how wrong it would have been to re-write history, despite being sympathetic to Barbara’s point of view as well. I was a bit shocked that Ian became a killer at the end of the story, which it was obvious he felt guilty about, but Barbara still doesn’t know that this happened - & I really don’t think she would approve!

And I actually didn’t interpret the Doctor as being in love with Cameca at all. He clearly liked and respected her, and felt bad about using her, but that’s as far as it went - which of course is still a huge step forward from his selfish attitude at the start of the series.

I would really like to have seen this one in colour though to truly appreciate the costumes and accessories in all their glory.

5 Likes

I’m not sure anyone ever has. There’s a fondness there and, as you say, some guilt for deceiving her but not love.

5 Likes

I loved the focus on Barbara in this serial. She had some great moments and the “You can’t rewrite history, not one line” scene was brilliant. Ian was also a great character and he was honestly pretty badass. Cameca proposing to the Doctor was a great moment and I loved her dynamic with the Doctor as well. The whole proposal was definitely something I wasn’t expecting. Tlotoxl was a very interesting villain as unlike most other DW villains, he didn’t get his comeuppance which was unique. I also liked the dynamic between him and Autloc a lot
9.2/10

7 Likes

I don’t remember this story making a great impact on me in the past, but I’ve been watching it over the last couple of days and I have to say, actually yeah. This rocks. On the surface, it seems like it could easily be a ‘oh ha ha look at these primitive savage people weren’t they horrid’, but actually it goes way further than that and I was struck by the way it wasn’t 100% simplistic.

Tlotoxl is fantastically compelling to watch, Barbara is obviously fabulous, Ian is perfect, and I genuinely really felt for Cameca - the honest affection between her and the Doctor is so lovely to watch. Very much enjoyed

10 Likes

Cocoa, anyone?

7 Likes

5 Likes

Yes, please! I love cocoa!

Wait, are we engaged now?

Better not tell my wife…

7 Likes

I think I am going to need you to rate the Claws of Axos with a 5/5 :star: before I can promise not to do that :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Oh no, you’re blackmailing me!

But I don’t want to be banned from this community by my wife, so I have to do it!

I even liked it for you! :grin:

4 Likes

Muhahaha :sunglasses:

Now, was there any more cocoa? :grin:

6 Likes

Pleanty of cocoa to go around!

PI565470-598613927

6 Likes

I haven’t really commented much on this story. Dunno why as it’s as close to perfect as Who gets for me. A 100% comfort watch. The Doctor’s “But you can’t rewrite history! Not one line!” moment followed by “Barbara, one last appeal. What you are trying to do is utterly impossible. I know, believe me, I know.” I’ve mentioned this before but that final line is full of meaning, the way Hartnell delivers it makes me think something tragic has happened to the Doctor before when he did try to rewrite history. Did it involve his own children? Is this why he is custodian to Susan?

& what can I say about Jacqueline Hill? So perfect in the role, she brings a moral if misguided steadfastness to her cause. To her belief she can change history for the better. Ian gets some really fun scenes. Tlotoxl is a charismatic villain with some Shakespearean dialogue & asides to camera. Nothing much for Susan to do sadly. & of course there is Cameca, while I don’t think her feelings for the Doctor are 100% reciprocated I do think he has affection for her. The idea of being romantically involved with someone, of being anchored in one place is something he is maybe starting to see the appeal of even if only briefly.

I wish we had all this in colour.

10 Likes

I leave you lot alone for a day and look what you’re getting up to!

@BillFiler is now a bigamist! @MrColdStream I challenge you to a duel at dawn for his hand in fan marriage.

6 Likes