Setting Empress of Mars in Peladon

Maybe Empress should’ve been set on Peladon. But I also like the idea of the Doctor meeting Alpha Centauri out of order. And if it was set on Peladon it wouldn’t be out of order. In fact, I can see them bring Nina Thomas out of the woodbox to play Thalira again.

I’ve seen someone saying thalira is Jo’s daughter!

Regen stories may have vibes of the upcoming era (or rather, the era inherits the vibes of the previous regen story) (the new beginnings trilogy is its own era different than both 4 and 5) but of course IIRC they tend to be more somber and deadly with big stakes. Meanwhile the three era is more comedic and light-hearted and tends to be set in small villages in 1970’s-1980-y’s England.

4 Likes

I know it’s silly and bonkers, but I love this story just the way it is. Yes, it evokes the Peladon stories perfectly, but in a different setting. Plus, the first time we’ve actually seen the Ice Warriors on Mars. It fits for me. It works when it probably shouldn’t. It feels really old fashioned and yet sparkly and new. It uses the honour and culture of the Ice Warriors to good effect, whilst making them menacing, even though the real villain is definitively human.

I’d really love the series to go back to Peladon at some point, but to tell a different kind of story again. Is there a conservation story to be had in trying to bring back and rewild Aggedor, for example? Who might oppose that?

9 Likes

Would definitely have been more interesting if it had been. Empress of Mars doesn’t really go anywhere IMO. The Ice Queen Iraxxa is the best part.

3 Likes

I’d consider the best part to be having Alpha Centauri back, but there’s an obvious issue with that…

6 Likes

Yeah, that too. Although it must have confused the heck out of casual viewers who have no idea who Alpha Centauri is.

5 Likes

Is it just me who would love to see more from the inhabitants of Arcturus? I’ve always been a sucker for green, slimy, skull-faced aliens inside boxes-of-tricks.
061_arcturus

9 Likes

Just don’t let Barbara near a face in a glass jar :grimacing::wink:

4 Likes

The best thing would be having a planet where ice warriors, alpha centaurans, peladonians, humans, Silurians, sea devils, zygons, draconids, Crespallions, catkind, Menoptera, cryons, raxacoricofallapatorians, absorbaloff, Apalapucians, salostophossians, Stovians, zocci, vinvocci, Habrians, ood, sensorites, sontarans, Rutans, vogans, Judoon, ogrons, argolins, tigellans, dronids, and mynyans can live peacefully together as the population of the Three Galaxies. :milky_way: those being the Milky Way, andromeda, and Isop.

Maybe we could have a new alpha centauran we know by name

3 Likes

…aaaaand now I want a new Draconian story. :laughing:

5 Likes

Mindgame

4 Likes

Draconians are great. Fantastic Friedlander half masks and interesting culture. I’d so love to see a deeper exploration of this species and culture. I mean, I’m certainly not averse to them appearing in a Peladon story either!

5 Likes

I would be a bit trepidatious about bringing the Draconians back. Their appearance in Frontier in Space is basically flawless, their culture and historical background is perfectly told through little snippets across those six episodes. Plus the design of the Draconians and the execution thereof is fantastic, even by today’s standards in prosthetics.

Would it be wise to mess with perfection? :grin:

5 Likes

I see what you’re saying there, but if done well… don’t tell me you wouldn’t want to see that! :laughing:

4 Likes

Harrumph!
You see right through me! :wink:

I was saying the same thing about Star Wars in 1999 when The Phantom Menace came out and I was 13 years old.
And yet I still find myself watching basically everything they pour on to my screen :joy:

(No spoilers for The Acolyte people, I am watching it with my son and we’ve only seen the first episode :wink:)

4 Likes

Yeah, Phantom Menace, Star Wars. All fine and dandy. Yeah, I hear you. Good stuff…

…but Draconians… NOW we’re talking!

:laughing:

3 Likes