New Feature: Rating Distribution

You can now see a breakdown of the rating distribution on a story!

This can be useful to see exactly how a story earned its rating. If a story gets 3/5 it could just be middle-of-the-road, with everyone rating it 3, or it could be super controversial with a mixture of 1 star and 5 star ratings!

Now you can see the full picture by viewing the distribution, currently in an accordion underneath where the buttons are (these pages are due a redesign, so just putting stuff anywhere at the moment, and for reasons which I won’t go into now, I couldn’t put it under “Reviews”).

Note that this currently only counts reviews from the website, even though we pull in reviews from lots of other sources too. I’ll look into improving that, but it should give a good indication as we get lots of reviews now! (I’m pretty proud that for new stuff we get way more reviews than that other site /humblebrag)

Thanks to @ineffyble for suggesting I add this. What interesting insights have you found using this information?

19 Likes

Definitely a very useful feature. I love seeing how one of my all-time favourite episodes really is that hated by the community. I love being one of only seven people to recognise this episode for the masterpiece it is. (This is only slightly sarcastic, I mostly find it funny.)

The first person to guess the episode gets a gold star. Shouldn’t be too hard.

5 Likes

Love & Monsters?

1 Like

Nice feature. I like that it only shows this communities rating distribution. Goodreads, for example, only use 5 points of rating, unlike the 10 used here.

6 Likes

That 2 finales that most people don’t like but I do has a good amount of ratings above a 4. The second episode shown surprisingly has mostly an even distribution. There are more ratings above a 3.5 than I thought there would’ve been.

4 Likes

Ahh this is great! It feels like my third eye has been opened, knowing there are people who have rated Parting of the ways even lower than me.

7 Likes

Oooo this is awesome! Now we can see how many people are wrong about liking and disliking episodes! :rofl:

11 Likes

Guess which story I checked first…

(The 0.5 raters will be tracked down and banished from the site).

12 Likes

Next I’m going to show who rated each story what, but I fear for the repercussions of whoever rated Delta and The Bannermen less than 5 stars…

11 Likes

Your favorite of course

4 Likes

Might be nice to add text like “need more votes to show the distribution” or something like that on the ones that are like this

6 Likes

Ah yeah forgot about that :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

to the three people who gave dreamland 5/5…

why???

10 Likes

Just goes to show that even your most hated story is someone else’s 5 star favourite.

Which reminds me, I must show how many favourites a story gets too.

8 Likes

Love this! BTW why are the ratings out of 5 in the Guide itself but out of 10 in the forum? I make sure I am rating them the same in both places, so I think of each star in the Guide as 2 so that 2,5 stars = a rating of 5/10.

3 Likes

Because as we have half-stars on the site, it’s actually a 10 point rating system.

And on the forum there is no neat way to do half-numbers so it’s out of 10 instead.

You just have to do a tiny bit of maths to compare them :blush:

6 Likes

I do - don’t worry - I just don’t get why you need to rate in two different places using two different systems. Why not just call “half a star” 1 and “5 stars” 10?

3 Likes

Oh this is so goooood
O was waiting for this for a long time

4 Likes

Well 4 and 4.5 stars are acceptable. I’ll even let 3 star raters off with a hard stare.

7 Likes

Because on the website I find 5 stars smaller and simpler to use, especially on the little episode cards like this:

Showing 10 options there would be a bit much.

7 Likes