Does ‘The Time Warrior’ have any flaws?

‘The Time Warrior’ is as of right now my absolute favourite Doctor Who story and I’m very interested in whether people have criticism for it and if so what it is

So let me know any and all flaws you think ‘The Time Warrior’ has!

Edit: you can also tell me why you love it because thats the correct opinion (I’m kidding… mostly)

10 Likes

If we’re really looking for flaws, it does look like something made from the 70s when it comes to effects and costumes. It’s still a great story overall in my opinion but sometimes the Sontarans look a little awkward.

5 Likes

I can somewhat agree but honestly in my opinion Linx is the best looking sontaran we’ve ever seen on screen to this day

5 Likes

Oh wow! For me their Flux look is the all-time peak. Before that I probably would’ve agreed with you about this story being the best look, though.

The reveal in that first cliffhanger never quite worked for me, though, as it made it look extremely obvious that it was a guy in a mask, more than any other way Linx is shot in the story imo, so that lessened the impact for me.

I love the story and Sontarans in general, although I think they get more interesting later in Classic despite less great design work—here they’re mostly remarkable for the design. Ultimately they’re my favorite Doctor Who “monster”, and I will devour anything with them in it lol.

7 Likes

It’s a brilliant story and I have a huge nostalgia for it as it was one of the first VHSes I owned.

The only real flaw I can see is that the interior castle sets can look a bit stagey and false.

8 Likes

Between Bloodaxe chewing every piece of shaky 70s scenery he can find, a pre-Eastenders Dot Cotton giving it the Lady MacBeths, Pertwee having to Neo dodge a firing squad and the introduction of Lovely Lovely Elisabeth Sladen, this one is a proper banger.

8 Likes

Long-shanked rascal with a mighty nose is the best description of Jon Pertwee ever written down.

8 Likes

I’ve often said that The Time Warrior really is the best episode for Sarah’s character - it’s not necessarily my favourite of her stories, but in terms of allowing her to drive the story and actually have autonomy beyond ‘yes Doctor, no Doctor’, it really doesn’t get any better than this

10 Likes

Honestly not sure if there are any really and if they are, they probably be nitpicks in my eyes. This Story is pretty incredible, dare I say the best Sontarans televised Story (Alright there isn’t many amazing televised Sontarans Stories sadly, at least in my eyes). Not only that, but the Introduction of Sarah Jane is also just a blast to watch. Gotta say Season 11 starts out pretty strong with probably two of Sarah’s best Outings

7 Likes