Comic Club: Event 2 - Supremacy of the Cybermen

I remember enjoying this one a fair bit, and I’m sure my compliments would be similar to everyone elses, but I did find the whole thing to be a bit fan service heavy, like there’s throwing in the odd reference or two and then there’s this
It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing to have that much fan service, but it did feel like it was put in front of the plot at times

4 Likes

I wonder how many of the positive reviews are for those who read the trade collection, because as someone reading as the issues were published it was not a fun time. This needed to progress four different storylines that didn’t interact over five twenty odd page instalments, and the issues got delayed too, really killing the already sluggish pacing. The very premise and ongoing story too means you know it has to end in a certain way, and how it’s done can determine the narrative tension or lack of.

Some of the art in terms of character likeness really missed the mark. The Tenth Doctor, Gabby and Cindy really didn’t look consistent with previous depictions and I remember Jackie looking off too.

I do like the prologue bits where Classic Doctors had subversions of the canon in favour of the Cybermen, where Doctors and companions had become converted.

6 Likes

Prologue First Doctor: I absolutely adore the artstyle in this. Genuinely one of the most beautiful Doctor Who comics I’ve read and it’s only one page long.
4.5

Prologue Second Doctor: Not really anything special
2.5/5

Prologue Third Doctor: The art is fine but the story is pretty interesting. Liked seeing the Delgado Master become upgraded
3.5/5

Prologue Fourth Doctor: This has one of the coolest one off Cyberman designs ever in it and there’s a funny jelly baby scene. What more could I ask for!
4/5

Prologue Fifth Doctor: Cybermen on Skaro is interesting, but not much more to say.
3/5

Prologue Sixth Doctor: Nice art style, but I have no connection to the era since I haven’t seen it.
2.5/5

Prologue Seventh Doctor: Very sad
3/5

Prologue Eighth Doctor: Eh
2.5/5

Prologue War Doctor: Very interesting Cyberman design. Hope we see more of it. Also nice little timeline switchup.
3.5/5

4 Likes

Supremacy of the Cybermen: This was definitely an upgrade over the prior summer event comic from year one. I loved how the Doctors never actually interact and each of them have their own little story that comes together in the end. Twelves is obviously the most important as it gives context to the story as a whole. I loved seeing Rassilon and his evil plan here was interesting. I also liked how the Doctor managed to convince him to help and defeat the Cybermen in the end. Ten’s story with the Sontarans was very entertaining and I really liked how the Sontarans fit into the plot of the story. They were really entertaining and it was great to see Gabby and Cindy get a lot of things to do as well. Eleven had another really good story set in prehistoric times, and it was awesome seeing Cyber-Silurians. It’s a great concept that ended up being really effective. Finally, Nine’s plot was probably the worst as it was fairly basic but still really enjoyable . In the end, this summer event ended up being one of the greatest comics Titan has put out as it delivered plenty of fan service on top of a great story, with plenty of amazing and cinematic art that far exceeded much of the art put out in the regular Titan stories.

5/5

5 Likes

Really enjoyed this one. A lot of things I really like in one story, and it all comes together pretty well.

3 Likes

Okay, so I’m only a year behind Comic Club!

Just read this one and my goodness it was top notch. Instant 5/5 from me. I loved the different Doctors all having adventures and then succumbing to the Cybervirus. Loved all the callbacks - Jackie, the Cyberkings, Sontarans, Silurians, Rassilon, the General.

I also really liked the little images of the other Doctors facing off against Cybermen and then the extra special treat of having little one page shots at the end showing each Doctor facing the Cybermen and all the different types from Tenth Planet style to Revenge to 80s and beyond. Very cool.

As a ‘anniversary’ special I thought this really worked. I don’t need the Doctors coming together as that has been done enough. A story where they are all involved but the narrative goes for something a bit different is always a plus in my book (it’s why I like Zagreus).

Easily one of the best Titan stories for a long time, IMO.

8 Likes

I sound like a broken record saying I enjoyed this more than Four Doctors before this. It was very good, and I adored the various Doctors against the Cybermen, the companions and various groups facing them, and all the callbacks and returns. It was a fun one to read!

5 Likes

I’m starting to buy thr Titan Y2 stuff, but I noticed this summer event appears to have released in the middle of the year. @Tian’s guide mentions this for year 3 (claiming its unique from the previous years), but not this one. All it says is that its probably best to read the other ranges first.

So I was wondering just hoe connected this was to the other ranges. Does it actually take place after the runs/in a nebulous time, and is it referanced at all by the 9/10/11/12 runs?

1 Like

I found this, like the other events, to be a very interesting premise lacking somewhat in substance but making up for it as a very fun multi-Doctor story. It was interesting seeing Gallifrey in the aftermath of Series 9, and I enjoyed this approach to a multi-Doctor event, having the story affect them all in parallel rather than lumping them in to the same time and place.

My memory is a bit hazy on the finer details, but I was shocked to see Rose be converted into a Cyberman , saying nothing of the prologues and tie-ins with the other incarnations, all of which sported different designs for the Cybermen and some fun stylistic differences in the illustrations.

I feel it warrants a re-read, however; I remember enjoying my time with it, but I struggle to give a comment more detailed than that at the present moment…