Comic Club: DWM 4: Doctor Who and the Star Beast

Just finished this one, I think it’s pretty great. Again it feels quick but that’s probably because the format requires a cliffhanger every 4 pages, but I don’t mind that too much. I see why the meep is popular!

I’ll do the Audio at some point, probably before the tv episode.

5 Likes

I love the Star Beast story. It is fun and goofy sci-fi, and it is the first of these that feels like a TV Doctor Who story (not only because it also became one later). This was the last DWM comic I read last time when I started reading these, and I am looking forward to reading new comics.

3 Likes

I completely forgot to comment on this thread back in the day :joy:

I wish some of this would have made it to the TV version.

7/10 = Good

The Star Beast is an energetic eight-part Doctor Who Weekly comic that introduced Sharon as a companion, gave us the first appearance of the adorable-yet-deadly Meep, and staged a finale where Blackcastle almost fell into a black hole. Compared to later adaptations, it’s pulpier and nastier: the Meep is a proper monster, the Wrarth Warriors are given quirks, and even K9 gets turned into a cat. Silly, scrappy, and spectacular in scale, it’s a landmark story in the Whoniverse’s comic history.

2 Likes

Decided to go through some of the old comics and started with this one.

It’s difficult not to think about the TV story when reading it, but I did try to seperate the two and for me, I think the comic benefits from being read distinctly from the TV episode.

The comics are a new exploration for me (this is the fourth that I’ve read), so I can’t comment too much on the quality of the illustrations. But I did like a lot of the details. The story was entertaining, and I like the background story of the Meep. Sharon was a great character. The story was energetic and has some great moments, I found the bus journey especially fun.

I am ooking forward to working my way through the DWM comic anthologies. My brother has a few of them so I’ve got plenty to catch up on.

4 Likes

Finally got round to this after putting it off for ages. I definitely think I enjoyed it more compared to the TV adaptation. The Wrarth Warriors are a lot more interesting and it balances the humour and action a lot better, 8/10

1 Like