Audio Club: Seasons of Fear

The other thing I’m noticing is how young McGann sounds.

4 Likes

I find it funny in these earlier audios with him where, yes, he sounds really young, but also as the years have gone on in the audios he’s started sounding more and more Northern, which is delightful to me

9 Likes

An enjoyable romp through time with a fun villain, a triumphant return of a Classic monster (The Nimon) and a great cast. And then, at the end, the season arc hits us like a cannonball full across bow leaving us with questions about what’s coming next. These questions won’t be answered until Neverland, but they definitely work to keep one interested in the arc that’s building up here. I guess I’d rate this a 9.5/10.

8 Likes

Love this one! Not the deepest, but if they ever wanted to do a theatrical Movie of Doctor Who (i know we got that with the Daleks Movie, but they were more Daleks Movies than Doctor Who), this one would be pretty much a good Inspiration for.

On another note, I always have a big soft spot for Stories, where we travel to different settings in each of the Episodes. How the Story starts is amazing and I really love it! The Humor here is pretty great, and I think Eight and Charley are at some of their best as a duo here. After Chimes this is such a perfect comforting “actiony” Story, which mixes some aspects of Keys of Marinus and City of Death into a delightful romp!

Big Fan of the Story!

11 Likes

I rather enjoyed this one. Probably more than Chimes.

Great voice acting, varied plot locations. Funny moments, serious moments.

Good stuff. 4/5.

10 Likes

Found this little scene animation:

1 Like

This one was allright, decent middle of the road story.
But i’m loving 8 and Charley so much.
Their stories are cosy and fun and i really like them.
3.5/5

7 Likes

I really enjoyed this one.

2 Likes

“Seasons of Fear” is my guilty pleasure story, and it and “Neverland” are how I fell in love with the Eighth Doctor. Before then, I hadn’t been gelling with his stories—even “The Chimes of Midnight”, which I should relisten to at some point. This story isn’t good, but it is pure fun, suiting the adventurous romantic and his fearless companion like a glove. Feels like lightning in a bottle, too; while the Audacity stories, set in the same era, have been great, they aren’t hitting the same way.

(Admittedly, the animation posted by @DarthGallifrey did a lot of heavy lifting. Love it to bits!)

5 Likes

More proof that I like Paul Cornell provided he’s not writing a book.
This was a very strong story as I go through the early MAs again.

5 Likes

I thought it was interesting, I loved the story and like many others I enjoyed the return of the Nimon. I also thought there was a lot of really fun moments all through it and the characters were great. I was a little thrown at first, going from Eight narrating events before switching to being a present tense story, but I adored this audio a lot.

6 Likes

In my experience that applies to comics, too. :confused:

1 Like

Of the 6 I’ve read its really hit or miss, mostly miss. But to be honest I think thats more DWM comics than Cornell. Although its Interesting to note that of those 6 Ive read he has pretty poor average scores (unlike the books).

2 Likes

this one really was a delight

Tying The Nimon into the Mythras myth is a really fun idea, and wow, this is just one hell of a way to bring them back

The character stuff was great, always fun when you get to use time travel as part of a story, and seeing an immortal at various points of their life is a delight, one I wish we got more of from the show.

And again, they made The Nimon a real threat!!! And a really enjoyable one at that!!!

6 Likes

This is my favourite 8th Doctor audio, although I haven’t listened to the boxset era yet. I listened to this soon after hearing Chimes for the first time, and I was ecstatic getting to hear these two utterly brilliant audios back to back. I love the entire concept, it’s so fun and one of my favourite Doctor Who tropes is when a character has already met the Doctor in their timeline but the Doctor hasn’t met them yet, also when time travel is actually important to the plot, so I was always going to have a great time with this story.

8 Likes

9/10

A great story which gives Paul McGann a very fitting rival, the sort of story Steven Moffat wished he could write. My review below.

3 Likes

Relistened to this one today. I still really like it with the time-hopping plot, Grayle is a fun villain if a bit one-note and I think the different environments were done quite well and each of them feel quite alive and real (maybe not that much for 1806 though).

8/10.

5 Likes

One of my absolute favorite audios. Idk how many times I’ve listened, it’s become one of my default comfort audios that I can put on in the background. It’s such solid fun, and I really enjoy both the premise and execution.

6 Likes

This is one of the stories I’ve revisited most often over the years. I was still very new to Who when it came out, so there were parts of this that I see differently with a little more experience. For example, I didn’t have a clue who the surprise villains were - now that adds an extra moment of fun but it works perfectly well for someone who was new to the series.

I enjoy each of the locations we visit but the Roman material worked particularly well for me. One of the things I think this story does well is find parallels between the ancient and the modern, which helps bring the setting to life and make it relatable for the listener.

As for the script, it’s great fun. I think it is really well balanced, giving moments of humor as well as more serious moments too. Great stuff!

8 Likes

Welcome here @uk2ga, why don’t you head over to Introductions and introduce yourself to the forum? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes