Adventure is my name! - A Bernice Summerfield Thread

I assume that for Bernice, Dark Gallifrey falls between the New Adventures boxsets and the upcoming Empire Club (or whatever it’s called) since David Warner is in DG?

4 Likes

Also, should this Bernice Summerfield thread be moved from Audio to Cross-Media Discussions in order to potentially include the Virgin novels in the discussion? Or should the Virgin Benny novels get their own thread at some point?

6 Likes

I’ve moved it over.

4 Likes

Just kinda got to thinking about the category since we’ve already been discussing the Big Finish novels and I can see eventually discussing the Virgin novels that proceeded the Big Finish stuff.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Bernice Summerfield is continuing:

7 Likes

Interesting! I wonder if it will be good for people like me who want to try listening to Benny but haven’t got the time to start from the very beginning!

6 Likes

I honestly think maybe The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield may be a good starting point. 7th and Unbound Doc are featured. This is a continuation of that.

8 Likes

I second starting with the New Adventures range. The first story of Volume 1 is hilarious.

6 Likes

What secrets does The Eternity Club hide?

6 Likes

Yayyyy Benny! I’m excited for this!

5 Likes

NAoBS is definitely a good jumping on point IMO. I took a break from my run through her original series for the New Adventures and it immediately sucked me in. it’s a bit different from the other series as well, and a lot more approachable.

6 Likes

This is the second time Benny has featured the Drahvins. I’m intrigued.

6 Likes

Oh and, shallow mode engaged, Lisa Bowerman looks gorgeous in that photo!

7 Likes

Just started The Glass Prison this morning and for those interested, the amount of time between The Doomsday Manuscript and The Glass Prison is ten months.

6 Likes

I love the Glass Prison! Pretty sure it made me cry when I read it :smiling_face_with_tear:

8 Likes

Yeah me too - I’ve been listening to the audiobooks as I go to sleep and that was such an intense one to sleep to haha brilliant though! I really enjoyed it

8 Likes

About halfway through The Glass Prison (Just finished the bit where the potential assassin was murdered by the cult.) Looking forward, once I finish this, it’s smooth sailing through seasons 3 & 4 of the audios. The only thing missing is a short story collection for each season.

6 Likes

If you can, try and get your hands on some version of Life During Wartime when that becomes relevant, or at the least read what happens on Tardis Wiki, there’s a lot in that collection that is pretty vital to the plot and never gets explained any other time

6 Likes

I’d second that with A Life Worth Living and Something Changed— neither are as point blank essential as Life During Wartime (which is absolutely essential) but both of them really deepen the Collection and its characters, especially Brax, which sets up dominoes for the later series.

(Although I’m very much in love with the Benny series and would say every book is worth reading! Sadly, a lot of them can be very hard to find— outside of a pdf format, anyway…)

6 Likes