73 Yards - Target Novelisation by Scott Handcock

Let’s discuss the third of the Fifteenth Doctor’s Target Novelisations - 73 Yards!

You don’t have to finish the book before you write. Please use spoiler tags!

Just for fun please rate it below you are done.

0 voters
2 Likes

It is raining a lot today and my daughter is asleep. That made me want to start the second book after finishing the first one. I am excited about this and hope that they flesh out the story a bit.

6 Likes

Gonna probably use the audio book for this as my next listening after I finish Friend of the Family.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, who reads the audiobook?

2 Likes

Susan Twist reads it

6 Likes

That’s awesome.

2 Likes

tbh that’s a huge part as to why I’m going for the audiobook (that and I do audiobooks easier than reading)

It’s also only 3h46m according to Spotify!

5 Likes

I am on chapter seven just before Ruby meets Kate and here is some interesting new stuff:

We got to know that Ruby goes to UNIT to ask for help. The first person she meets is Ace, not Kate. People in London call the UNIT tower The Penguin

But for the most part, this follows the episode and does not offer that much extra.

8 Likes

Finished the audiobook today. It stayed pretty close to the episode but I think that this story is strong enough that this is not a problem. It is interesting to read Rubys’ thoughts and I think that they could have expanded even more on this. I rate it 9/10. It would have been a 10 if they would have expanded a bit more on the episode.

7 Likes

I liked this review of the book. It better articulates a lot of my feelings of it. It is spoiler free.

2 Likes

Just started this and from the jump I’m loving Susan Twist’s audiobook reading voice. Her 15 accent needs some work though.

4 Likes

I don’t even remember her 15 voice. But I thought that she was great.

3 Likes

Yeah thankfully it’s not at all an actual issue with how little 15 appears.

On chapter 3 right now and enjoying it!

3 Likes

Finished! Solid 8/10! I enjoyed it a lot and thought the bits it expanded on were good, but I wish it did expand even more and do more interesting things. I also admit that the ending, just as with the original episode, is a tad too arthouse and ambiguous for me :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Like the episode itself, I absolutely loved this. Like the previous two of this batch of Fifteenth Doctor novelisations it stays pretty much the same as whats on screen but this one expands with some lovely little scenes and bits of backstory for the the people in Y Pren Marw, how UNIT got involved,it just clarifies and enhances the episode. Handcock also has a lovely writing style that keeps this novelisation infused with the vibe of the episode itself. I’ve rated it a 9/10 for now it was such a lovely little read.

7 Likes